• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I got to handle a 20 gauge fowler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hanz

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I was up in Pleasant Valley, NY today (nice place!) and stopped in a gunshop Quattro's. They had what I'd guess to be an original cap lock fowler in 20 gauge. I've never held one before. They also had two older looking rifles but I didn't ask to see them. I don't remember the maker or the asking price but three things stick out in my mind. It was very light weight. It seemed to fit me OK. The barrel was somewhere around 41" long. I think it's the longest barrel I've ever sighted.

Quattro's is on route 44 just a bit East of the Taconic Pkwy in case anyone else wants to check it out.

Doug

Now you're in trouble! You won't be happy until you own one. Flintlocks are even better. :thumbsup:

No, I'm not ready to buy a flinter yet because I'm having a terrible time making up my mind what to get. I was glad to handle that fowler because it taught me that I don't want something that long in the Grouse woods. It would be great for pheasant or turkey though and really felt right in the hand and against the shoulder. I also would like a nice flinter with a rifled barrel. I've looked at the Caywood Guns and like the switch barrel options. I would like something like that but they don't offer a 20 gauge Fowler with a 36" barrel. I guess I could get a Wilson but the stock arcitecture is a bit different and I know a fowler fits me. My head is spinning. I've decided to hunt primarily with BP this year and I've got that covered. I'd like to do the same next year but use a flintlock.

Any suggestions?

Doug

Doug, I think you are out of options. You need three different flintlocks; a fowler for grouse, a fowler for turkeys, and a rifle for deer.

Don't fight it, you'll lose in the end anyway! :thumbsup:

Russ T Frizzen said:
Now you're in trouble! You won't be happy until you own one. Flintlocks are even better. :thumbsup:
Yeah, I think you're right.....he won't be happy 'til he gets one.....or two.....or three.....or...
It's an addiction! Emery

I use my 42" barrel fowler in the woods all the time and it has never been a problem. My new 10 bore will have a 48" barrel and I don't anticipate any trouble with that one either.

I had some mental hang-ups about a 42" barrel before I bought my Caywood fusil. It's not like a modern gun though... the 42" balances surprisingly well and carries with ease through the woods. I haven't wing shot grouse, but I've shot ducks and geese and never felt like the barrel length was a problem.

42"... or 36"... whatever you decide, you "need" a fowler. :haha:

Another thing I've found is that the longer barrels seem to throw tighter patterns. This has been true with both my fowler and my 1842 musket which also has a 42" barrel and is used as a heavy duty 14 gauge shotgun.

OK, we're all in agreement I need a Fowler. I don't doubt the balance or the tighter patterns of the full length barrel. Maybe I'm trying for a Jack of all trades, Master of none. :hmm:

Try the fit of a Wilson-style gun as well. My short smoothbore is patterned on a Wilson style stock, and it is both pretty and feels good on the shoulder.

tradegun6.jpg

tradegun3.jpg

By the way, as I said in an earlier post, I'm finally learning to shoot this gun. I shotit again Sunday, this time @ 25 yds., and by switching to a full cushion wad, patched .648 RB, and 65 gr. of FFFg, I got a 4 1/2" group with my last four shots (then I was out of cushion wads). Now others may not think this is great, but it left me grinning ear to ear! :grin:

I'm glad to hear you're developing a love of fowlers. It means that you'll be posting photos of more guns for me to drool over! :thumbsup:

Now, take the advice others have given you and go for a flintlock! You'll find that once you have one, percussion guns are nice, but there's a certain magic missing in most cases. It's hard to define, but you'll notice that the percussion guns in your collection get shot far less than the rocklocks.

Just finished my fowler. Fits better than any gun I've had in 30 years. My son thinks the 42" barrel is a bit long. I'm thinking about a 30" barrel for his fowler.

Good fitting guns don't come around very often. When they do buy 'em!!!!!!

Both photos are the same gun. 26" barrel, 16 ga. built years ago by "Sweet William" Douglas. I traded ChuckPa out of it a few years ago - I stole it from him in a moment when he was weak and worn out from having built himself a NW gun :wink: - and I love it, especially now that I'm starting to master how to shoot straight with it.

To bad NY is a ways off for me, I'd be stoping by to take a look & it's a 20 to boot.
Cap

Thanks for posting the photos. That helps me a lot. I'm pretty sure what route I'm going to take but I have to sleep on it a couple more days before I order something. It will be a flintlock. I bought a telescoping paint roller extension handle to carry through the woods while I'm exercising the dog. I can try a couple of different lengths to see what I think will be best for me.

Now I just have to figure out what to tell someone when they see me mounting and swinging a broomstick while making gun noises. :haha:

I had similar concerns about the long barrel length of a fowler when used for grouse in heavy cover. I even built a dummy gun out of a piece of PVC pipe and an old rifle stock so that I could try it out.
As it turned out, I needn't have worried. The gun, 42" bbl. and all, carries quite nicely through the huckleberries. I wouldn't want to try to carry it through the woods slung over my shoulder, though.
Pete

Back