• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I Had to Laugh

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dadof8

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I just had to share the following story from this morning.

I got out early to get the oil changed on the Suburban. On the way home, I decided to stop at the local Wal Mart to check if they had Duck Cloth as I am interested in making a couple of possibles bags. I found the material and told the lady I needed a yard. She said that I didn't have to buy a whole yard, but I told her that I would take a yard. I added that my wife would probably think I was crazy when I came home with this. (I never told her what I was planning to do.)

She looked up and said, "I'm not surprised at anything my husband does anymore. He has gotten into blackpowder guns and rondevous. He is 56 and is growing a ponytail."

She went on to expound on her disatisfaction with the ponytail, but that she could stand the beard as they made him keep it trimmed.

She then went on to state that he offered to cut his ponytail if she would let him get a house dog. She was not for a house dog.

She said she came home the other night and he had cut his hair. He looked at her and said, "Can I get a dog now?" She said he is just like a 6 year old boy.

I just grinned inside. I'm not growing a ponytail, but the possiblity of a beard has fascinated me for years.

I can relate to the husband. (I hope he isn't one of you.)

Dadof8

Don't just imagine a beard, grow one. Doesn't take a whole lot of effort. I had one about 50 years ago and it was bright red. Grew one again two years ago and damned if it didn't come in white! I doubt that it makes me look like a longhunter, but it makes me feel a bit like one. graybeard :haha:

Dadof8: Thanks for sharing your story, I enjoyed it :)
Shortly after we started in rendezvous, I was sitting at my son's TaeKwonDo lesson watching him and reading an article from one of the Books of Buckskinners. I sat there laughing as the lady that wrote the article described her husband going through the brain tan process for the first time and her husand as a newbie. Also, as he tried to make his own shirt. What I found vastly humorous, I'm sure the person unexposed to rendezvous would just go "huh." I do hope the lady at Wal-Mart will go to an event with her husband and get "hooked" on rendezvous too. :m2c:

StrongWoman

Wow..Sounds like me :what: I am 52 and have always had short hair and clean shaven face. A few years ago I got into SCA and my personna was Viking so naturally I had to let my hair grow and grow a beard :haha: My wife isnt into the re-enactment thing at all so she doesnt git it. Now I am gitting into BP and thinking of doing the Rondys and she just shakes her head and sighs :rolleyes:
Old age is what ya make of it :thumbsup:

IronMan

She looked up and said, "I'm not surprised at anything my husband does anymore. He has gotten into blackpowder guns and rondevous. He is 56 and is growing a ponytail."

She went on to expound on her disatisfaction with the ponytail, but that she could stand the beard as they made him keep it trimmed.

Must be a trend. I have had a beard off and on since I could grow it. I got started on rendezvousing in 97 and haven't had a haircut since October of 98 when I was 42.

Dadof8
You should go back and tell her to tell her husband to give you a call. Then ask him to do some shooting with you.
Always great to have some new shooters to shoot with.

Woody

I had one about 50 years ago and it was bright red. Grew one again two years ago and damned if it didn't come in white!

Greybeard,
You could be just part rabbit and last time you grew it in the summer and this time you grew it in the winter. Just think what wonderful winter camo that white beard makes :winking:

Cody

My sweety gave me a button to wear; "I may be getting older but I refuse to grow up".

Maybe we married the same woman. Mine refers to me as an aging adolescent or the world's oldest teenager. :crackup:

The last time I shaved was Jan1,1970. Gee I sure hope he got that dog.

I've shaved once since May 1986. That one time was August 1988 to show my new wife what I looked like without it. I had to wait to show her grandma how I looked. Grandma rubbed my cheek and said "Grow it back".I love that old lady. I haven't shaved since. I only "trim" it about 3-4 X's a year. I wish it would grow straight , but it just bushes out.

last time I cut my hair was around 20 years ago, down almost to my belt right now, as for the beard well at 51 I still can't grow one to save my butt LOL mustache is fine but the beard isn't worth looking at so I shave every couple weeks or so. Yea my wife thinks I'm just an older teenager too YMHS Birdman

Great story, Birdman. Way back when we first got into BP and 'skinnin, we used to scare the heck out of the straights when we would go to town for supplies. We could clear out an entire grocery store in 5 minutes flat, 'specially when Dad would wear his skunk hat! Ever have someone ask you what cult you belonged to?? LMAO! Same thing trying to buy 100% natural fiber cloth. Naturally, the person cutting it for you asks what you're using it for, then gives you a weird look when you try to explain. More people know about the hobby now, than say 20 years ago, but they still think we're all crazy. Ahhhh, give me woodsmoke, canvas walls, the smell of buckskins and blackpowder! Best perfume in the world. Excuse me while I go bury my nose in my gear! :redthumb:I must be suffering from Cabin Fever!!!

That's a good idea to make a contact. I'll have to do that.

With 8 kids, I figured I couldn't afford to get stupid and go through a mid-life crisis by trading the current wife for a new one and a red sports car. Instead, I bought a fairly new Suburban last year and got 2 BP rifles.

A few years ago, I told my wife that when she turned 40 I was going to trade her for 2 twenties. She shot back, "You're not wired for 2 twenties."

The sad part is she is right.

Oh well. I guess I'll go back to Wal Mart and see if I can meet a shooting buddy.

Dadof8

I've had a beard on and off, mostly on, since I got out of the Army. I still don't like having long hair though.

I just shaved my beard off this morning because I couldn't remember what my face looked like. Now that I know, I'll have a beard again in a couple of weeks :crackup:. I guess I should take a picture now so that the next time I feel like shaving it I'll know better.

Maybe we married the same woman. Mine refers to me as an aging adolescent or the world's oldest teenager. :crackup:

So you're really Dick Clark?

Dang, we got Dick Clark on our board? Who lowered the standards? :crackup:

Back