• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I inherited 2 Investarms Hawkens

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yagee

36 Cal.
Reaction score
About one year ago I inherited 2 Investarms Hawkens, 1 in .50 cal and 1 in .54 cal. both are percussion rifles. These rifles are new & unused and in excellent condition. I was told they were purchased about 20 years ago.

The .50 cal. barrel, 28

As far as i know, all the Investarms Hawkens had a 1-48" twist. You can tell by putting a tight fitting patch on a jag and pushing it all the way to the breech. Then put a mark on the rod in line with the front sight. Slowly pull the rod out, being sure to let it turn with the rifling until it makes 1/4 turn. Now measure from the muzzle to the mark on the rod. It hould be 12" if it is 1-48" twist. As for a brass rod, you can get a good solid brass rod that is threaded for accessories from www.rmcsports.com. They have the jags and other accessories. I would suggest Goex black powder.

Rebel, thanks for the comeback. I will have to try that method on finding out the barrel twist.

:thanks: Yagee

I do have 1 manual from Investarms with loading instructions for round ball and use Black powder only. I have used the Forums search feature and there are still a few questions I need help with:

How can I tell what twist the barrels are?
They are 1:48" rifling and you can verify that if you wish the way Rebel mentioned.
Because the manual says round ball do I assume it is a 1x48 or slower ? Safe assumption. You can also shoot conical or ball-et with 1:48" if you like.
What Black powder do you recommend ? Swiss or Goex FFG or FFFG(Finer Grain 3FG and Swiss is my preference). Just remember to reduce your loading data by 15% with 3FG. Example: Say the max recommended FFG load is 100gr, your max 3FG load would be 85gr and so on.
Would you recommend Buffalo Ballets with a substitute Powder? Sure, ballets should shoot nicely from your ML's and give you more down range punch, give Black Mag'3 or Hodgdon 777 3FG loose a try. Same goes with the 15% loading data reduction for the synthetic 3FG powders. Also Dynamit-Nobel RWS #1075 caps.
I would like to replace the ramrods, is there quality brass or synthetic
ramrod kit with all the attachments available ? I've not tried RMC sports but Track of the Wolf and October Country also has them. I'm also looking at switching to brass ramrods for all of my ML's.
:imo:

Out of curiousity, why do you want to change the ramrods? (I may be interested in one if you do!)

Hi Tahquamenon,
Thank you for your comeback. and answering each of my questions. I am soaking up as much information as I can about Muzzleloading. (The only experience I have with Black Powder is shooting a BP 1860 Army pistol with both ball and conical, about 10 years ago.) I an probably going to go with Black powder and Ball-ets for starters, and then try for a good patch and ball combination using the .54 cal.
I have been around firearms both rimfire and centerfire for about 50 years, target shooting and hunting, rifle and handgun. When it comes to firearms, you can never be too carefull and knowledge is one way of be carefull.

Thanks again
Yagee :front:

Hi Pork Chop,
The reason I want to change the ramrods, is because they don't look very strong. Reading some of the post, I understand that some members have had ramrods break causing injuries. It is just a precaution I will take.

Thanks
Yagee :front:

I can understand that. I want to keep the ramrods on my weapons as wood, but I plan to pick up a range rod that will either be metal or one of the fiberglass units.

Yagee - Out of curosity, does the Sile have 2 wedges? Just wondering because mine does. It is probably about 25 years old. Thanks,Bill in Oregon

Hi OR562,
As I stated in my original post:
The .50 cal. barrel, 28

Hi Rebel,
I tried your suggestion, tight fitting patch and measurement after 1/4 turn. You were right on the money 12". Twist is 1 in 48".
Thanks
Yagee :thumbsup:

Yagee

hi I have the Cabals version in .54 and use PyrodexRS with great sucess. The reason I use Pyro is REAL BP is hard to find here. I use .530 patched round ball and the rifle shoots great.
Good luck and enjoy
IronMan

Yagee -I really don't have any info on the SILE. Mine is the only one I have ever seen with 2 wedges, except, there is a picture of one in Black Powder Loading Manual (1991) by Sam Fadala. I got mine many moons ago at a gun show. It now wears a T/C Roundball barrel.

Back