• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I need slapped.......HARD ! ! !

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Tonight I fired my newly acquired flintlock. It is the first flinter that I have owned in 25 years of muzzleloading. Why, oh why didn't I go flinting until now!!! I had such a ball shooting this evening and my rifle's accuracy stunned me.

I pulled the first shot to the right just outside the 3" bullseye from 28 yards. My next 4 shots measured 7/8ths of an inch center-to-center. These were shot using a lawn chair as a rest. :haha:

I posted a fresh target for my last 3 shots. These were shot from a picnic table. After shooting the 3, I cleaned my rifle and then went to collect my target. The 3 shot group measured 1/2", cutting one ragged hole!!!

I realize that many here can shoot as well or better, but, this was my first outing with any flintlock and I could not be happier! Honestly, I expected 2-3" groups for the first time out.

I wanted to share this and hope I am not sounding like a braggart. I just wanted to tell what my new-to-me rifle will do. I hope this encourages anybody reading this who has not taken the flintlock "plunge" to do so. I rode the fence for years about flinters, thinking I may be giving something up compared to caplocks. I should have feared not. I should be slapped, HARD, for waiting so long.

Thanks as I just had to share my day with those who understand and appreciate such "awakenings"! :thumbsup:

Welcome to the dark side. :wink:

I don't know what it is about having all the extra things to fiddle with just to get a shot off that makes shooting a flinter so much fun. I guess it's the journey not the trip that counts.

Many Klatch

Skychief said:
Why, oh why didn't I go flinting until now!!!

Some people are either intimidated by flintlocks or have a pre-conceived notion about their performances, so they put off trying them. (not saying that's the case with you prolonging the plunge into flinter's)

It does take some getting use to, after all there is a small explosion going off right beside their face when they shoot it, but that is part of the allure of flintlocking.

Welcome to the wonderful world of flint.

welcome to the wonderful world of rockbangers... argueably the most fun you can have with all your clothes on.

soon, you will get all excited about sharp bits of square stone, and your friends and coworkers and family will all think that you're a bit odd... don't worry about them, they just haven't made the big discovery yet.

Well, there went another one to the "Dark Side". Welcome aboard. Everybody knows them percussion won't last. Just a passing fad. Now that you know this one works great, when are you getting your next one? There is always room for more. Leon

Rock-knockers are much misunderstood by many shooters and hunters. They have only experienced the bad things of the cheap manure that was sold thirty years ago and really can't comprehend the marvelous mechanical nature and speed of a well designed and properly handled flinter. We occaisionally have black powder "fun" shoots with a friends here at my farm, and guys bring whatever guns they have. I pull out my flint smooth bore or flint rifle and many are amazed at the balance and accuracy of the guns. I've won a few converts to the dark side over the years.

We have had guys show up with their inlines and it is fun to watch their jaws drop when they see that a flinter's black arts really are'nt that mysterious.

celebrity-pictures-foghorn-leghorn-.jpg

There, do you feel better now.

Congratulations on taking the plunge, just be careful when using those improvised rests - at times you could find yourself without a good place to lay your off hand, and if you do, make sure it doesn't stray too close to the touch hole - you don't want your fingers in that area when that little explosion takes place...

Of course, you'll get a good workout from all the jumping around, and it could make picking yer next moniker a no-brainer.

:hatsoff:
Spot :redface:

Kentuckywindage said:
yep, it sure is a lot of fun! What rifle and load were you shooting?

The rifle is an early Tennessee with a large Siler lock and Green Mountain barrel. It was built by Bill Eyre of Sullivan county Indiana.

I used 50 grains fffg, pillow ticking of unknown thickness, spit for lube and .490 Speers. I haven't had time to onkey with different loadings yet. Maybe I stumbled into a super target load first time out! I will find out soon.

Leon/Iowa said:
Well, there went another one to the "Dark Side". Welcome aboard. Everybody knows them percussion won't last. Just a passing fad. Now that you know this one works great, when are you getting your next one? There is always room for more. Leon

I am planning on attempting my first build this Winter. It will no doubt be a flintlock....either a fowler or a .32 for squirrel hunting!

Spot said:
Congratulations on taking the plunge, just be careful when using those improvised rests - at times you could find yourself without a good place to lay your off hand, and if you do, make sure it doesn't stray too close to the touch hole - you don't want your fingers in that area when that little explosion takes place...

Of course, you'll get a good workout from all the jumping around, and it could make picking yer next moniker a no-brainer.

:hatsoff:
Spot :redface:

Advice heeded! Thank you Spot!!!

I know exactly how you feel. I shot caplocks for many years, but did not get my first flinter til I was around 70. Why I waited so long, I have no idea. Just kick myself now and then.

Funny thing is, I never had any desire to hunt with a percussion -- used cartridge rifles. That changed when I got my second flintlock, a TVM early Virginia. My first was a Lyman with a fast twist for conicals. Could never get better than a two inch group at 50 yds with it. With the TVM and PRB's, I can shoot clover leaves on a good day, and shot my first muzzleloader white tail last fall. Not the last, I hope.

Why did I wait so long to start living :hmm:

Latest posts

Back