• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

i need thouhts on this stock pattern

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjcgunnutt

32 Cal.
Reaction score
i am thinking of having a rifle custo m made by mike lange. i am thinking of this type of stock
kill_deer.JPG

any comments on comfort of shooting? i live in town so i dont shoot verry often.

Not unlike a Bedford County style or others that had extreme drop at the stock. It is a different feel when holding and aiming. You might or might not like. I suggest you try holding a finished rifle in that, or similar, style before committing.

Caliber will be a big factor, too. Anything over 54 is going to make you unhappy, and it can get uncomfortable with heavy loads even in 54.

the calber would be 50. i alleredy have the stuff for 50 from my previouse muzzleloader (cva hawken)

What you can do is get the dimensions from the supplier and make a mock-up out of cardboard to see how it feels to you. I suggest going on to Pecatonica's web site and look at the various stock profiles they offer. They have a wide variety and you may find a style that you like better.

Decide FIRST whether you want to shoot the new rifle from your upper arm( between your bi-cep, and the shoulder socket), or from the "pocket" in your shoulder formed when you lift your elbow up even with your shoulder, so that there is a "dip" between your neck, and your shoulder, with the toe of the butt setting against your pectoral muscle, and the heel of the but at or above your collar bone.

That decision will decide HOW WIDE a butt plate you need(and want), as well as Length of Pull, and how curved the butt plate can be. The amount of Drop at Comb is also then affected by this decision.

I agree with the advice to go look at a lot of stocks, and find one that feels right for YOU- nobody else. Only then decide what kind of "school" or "style" you want the stock to have.

When my brother decided to have a gun made for him( custom work), he called me to ask about the best stock dimensions. ( We are identical twins). Instead, I had him hang up, and measure the stock dimensions on all the rifles and shotguns- modern and mlers- that he owned, and pick out the three he thought fit him the best. I also measured all the stocks I had on my guns, and when he called back, we then compared notes.

Most shooters don't have the "luxury?" of having an identical twin( boy, will you get laughs from identical twins using the word "luxury" to refer to our relationships! :shocked2: :youcrazy: :nono: )so the best thing shooters can do is visit gun shops, or gun shows, where there are a lot of guns to view, and handle, taking measuring tapes, and rulers with you. Keep notes. If you are very lucky, you will find a gun that has Cast On or Cast-Off(if you are left handed) that will fit you better than you thought possible. Then you will have an idea what amount of Cast you want on the stock, too.

I am over 6 feet tall, and my stocks have a 13 3/4"Lop. However, I once had t4he pleasure of holding an original 1776 vintage Tower Armory made DBL 12 gauge shotgun with 36" barrels, and only a 12 1/2 " LOP. The Drop at comb was longer than any of my modern gun. I was shocked to find that I could close my eyes, lift that gun to my shoulder and cheek, and be looking right down the center rib at the front sight! :shocked2: :thumbsup: I don't recall the Drop at comb, and didn't realize how important it was until many years after I held the gun. I do remember that I was holding my head more erect than I Normally did with my other shotguns, and looking thru the center of my eyeglass lens. I am sure there was much more Pitch to the stock than on my modern guns, too, but didn't record that information, either. :cursing: :idunno: :surrender:

Good luck in your search. :hatsoff:

Back