• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I ordered my Birthday present , as well!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shot410

32 Cal.
Reaction score
So, I ordered my Birthday present as well. A 44 Walker. My first Black Powder gun (I like to start big).... So, I need a basic load to start with. Like what do I stuff down each chamber in that big cylinder? A newbie wants to know, as well as accessories to go with the purchase. I did buy a powder measure that adjusts, and 100 .457 lead balls. Now what else do I need? Any suggestions will be graciously accepted? Like that hasn't been asked about 500 times before.

first things you need for a bp revolver are:

-a cleaning rod
-cleaning patches
-a rust preventable (WD-40 works)
-proper fitting caps (they should fit on secure
without the need to pinch, try different brands and sizes)
-black powder or a sub
-proper fitting balls (the .457s should be good but you might also wanna try .454)
-a powder measure for 10-50 grains
-properly sized wads (should be just over chamber size, in most cases wonder wads work)
-lotsa of patience, this hobby envolves a great deal of trial an error.

enjoy your new gun and be safe!
-Matt

The walker when I have shot them were loaded 25-50 grains of 3F. 50 is a heavy load and not nessesary.
maybe some wads
round balls
percusion caps
bore butter (or other acceptable cylender greese)

gun cleaning kit
nipple wrench

that should get you started

I agree. A nipple wrench is one of the 'must have' tools for any revolver.

While the exposed nipple on a percussion rifle or single shot pistol is right out there in the open to grab with whatever's available, the nipples on most revolvers are down in pockets so only a nipple wrench will work easily.

Back