• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I should have "barked" this one!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I hunted a bit this morning and killed a brace of bushy tails with Ole Betsy. I got into a whole covey of them about 9:30 but only brought 2 loads with me so that was what I took to the house. If you read my post from last week, you understand what I mean when I say I should have "barked" one of them first. He will probably be so tough I won't be able to stick a fork in the gravy! That's what pressure cookers are made for, I guess.

Darren
DeadSquirrel-2-Small_zps1o8nsn8q.jpg
DeadSquirrel-1-Small_zpsfflllobv.jpg

Shoulda barked him! :haha:

Congrats on the squirrel, and very nice gun! Can't wait till I finish my penn fowler and can do some shooting too! :thumbsup:

Carolina_Skinner

Um, huh! Not prepared, were we? :rotf:

Squirreling is about the only time I take more than, oh, say five loads. I don't know if I'm expecting to miss a lot or that I expect to fill a truck with them. :idunno:

Unprepared I was. I got a late start and just grabbed what I had already measured out. I know where they're hanging out now so I will have plenty of ammunition next time.

Darren

I bet those are considered a delicacy somewhere in this crazy world.

Could be. But like cray fish (I only eat the tail) would take a mess to make a meal (more than the "in aggregate" allowed here fer sure). One of ya'all fry some up and report back please.

Hi, in New Zealand we call goats balls mountain oysters :rotf: Send those ones over to me and Ill report back. Can't be toooo bad :barf:

GregMit said:
Hi, in New Zealand we call goats balls mountain oysters :rotf: Send those ones over to me and Ill report back. Can't be toooo bad :barf:

Wanna bet?

Darren Haverstick said:
Unprepared I was. I got a late start and just grabbed what I had already measured out. I know where they're hanging out now so I will have plenty of ammunition next time.

Darren

I on the other hand can't walk to the other side of camp without the makings for a dozen shots :youcrazy: some day you will hear how I died because I stepped in a puddle and the weight of lead in my bag pulled me under :rotf:

I much prefer to hunt squirrels in the fall . . .June & July are pretty hot and buggy . never understood states with seasons like that .. .ours doesn't opinion Indiana until mid august, but I like going when its colder is Sept and Oct rather than making a blood donation to the mosquitos.

Our State wide squirrel season here in Arizona is from October thru the end of December.

There are some protected squirrel types but they are pretty much limited to some very small, special areas so most hunters don't have to worry about them.

There are a lot of different kinds of ground squirrels down in the lower areas of the State but most of them are small and not worth the bother.

The good squirrels are most often found up in the Pine, Fir and Spruce areas at elevations above 5000 feet.

Back