• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I start bear baiting tommorrow!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texcl

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I've got all sorts of thrift bread, popcorn, fish, beef scraps, many gallons of grease/oil and I don't know how many gallons of maple syrup. i'm really excited, I was setting up the bait barricade (which sets up your shooting angle on the bear) and had a nice bear sneak up behind me, within 30 yards. All my bait areas have tons of bear sign. I'm going to set up some game cams to see what comes in, I'll post some pics., if I can figure it out. Is there an easy way to post game cam video here? I did my final zero check with my virginia rifle last night, .562 rb in front of 100grns. of KIK 3f. it printed an 1 1/2" group at 50 yards, with 3 of the 5 holes touching, my furthest bait will be about 30 yards so I'm good I think.

Here's a tip....Don't Paw your Game Camera after handling all those Greasy Bait goodies!They like the taste of plastic.

Yeah, I had some nice pics of a bear's nose and mouth last year, they didn't take off with it though, just pulled off the tree.

Halftail said:
Here's a tip....Don't Paw your Game Camera after handling all those Greasy Bait goodies!They like the taste of plastic.

That is a great tip. I would have never thought of that. Then again we no longer can bait bear here. :cursing:

I set my baits today and two of my markers had already been mauled by bears before I even set the bait.

Maple Syrup! At $35 a gallon that's durned dear bait!

I've tasted bear and I'd rather have the syrup. From what I can tell hereabouts all you need is sunflower seed and three day old chicken bones; 39 gallon Rubbermaid dispensing device optional.

But good luck.

"I've tasted bear and I'd rather have the syrup."

It depends on what the bear had been eating. The last bear I ate had been feasting on beechnuts and huckelberries. That bear meat was better than any roast beef that I've ever had!

No baiting is allowed here in Tennessee. Most bear (and hog) hunting here is done with dogs. Otherwise, we still hunt or stand hunt and hope to get lucky. But, without a good pack of hounds our chances are slim.

Tex: May I suggest baiting the easy way. Instead of hauling pounds and pounds of greasy stinky gross stuff into the hills, go to a discount grocery store and buy a few bottles of anise (licorice) oil and vanilla extract. Spread oils on trees and limbs and you're done! Works slick!

Stumpkiller said:
Maple Syrup! At $35 a gallon that's durned dear bait!

I've tasted bear and I'd rather have the syrup. From what I can tell hereabouts all you need is sunflower seed and three day old chicken bones; 39 gallon Rubbermaid dispensing device optional.

But good luck.

All the good tasty meat on a bear is on the face, believe me. Bear tallow is some of the best oil you can get your hands on for lubed patches...

I go by the dounut shop and pick up the very old glazed type dounuts by the trash bag full (buddies). Bears like'm, like us..

Yup, most of my bait is free,I get 200lbs. of beef scrap a week from a fellow hunter and local butcher plus have a source of expired pastry, the only thing I buy is popcorn but it is super cheap, the bears love it though, I also take all the kids old candy from halloween, easter and christmas and throw it on the bait pile, it's also a good excuse to clean out the pantry and deep freezer for the fall harvest. I plan on rendering as much bear oil as I can, I've heard/read that it's great stuff.

Back