• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I Used Pyrodex Today !

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Landngroove

45 Cal.
Reaction score
A friend of mine, gave me a can of Pyrodex Select RS. The can had been already opened, and I don't know how old it is. I decided to use this today for my shooting session. I used 100 grains with a PRB in my T/C .54 Hawken.(percussion, # 11 caps) I have to admit, I was amazed at the accuracy I got. I was impressed. At about the 17th shot though, the old bugaboo of Pyrodex appeared, - Hangfire! I continued shooting about 7 or 8 more shots, and got great accuracy, and no more hangfires. I guess I will continue to use this Pyrodex Select RS until the can is empty for my target shooting sessions. I normally use Goex FFG, and FFFG in this ML., and will go back to that then. If not for that one hangfire, I would say that the Pyrodex performed very well. Seems that it performed better than when I used to use it regularly, about 10 years ago. Maybe Hodgen has improved the formula. In any case, Goex Black Powder is still the one to beat!

Landngroove said:
A friend of mine, gave me a can of Pyrodex Select RS. The can had been already opened, and I don't know how old it is. I decided to use this today for my shooting session. I used 100 grains with a PRB in my T/C .54 Hawken.(percussion, # 11 caps) I have to admit, I was amazed at the accuracy I got. I was impressed. At about the 17th shot though, the old bugaboo of Pyrodex appeared, - Hangfire! I continued shooting about 7 or 8 more shots, and got great accuracy, and no more hangfires. I guess I will continue to use this Pyrodex Select RS until the can is empty for my target shooting sessions. I normally use Goex FFG, and FFFG in this ML., and will go back to that then. If not for that one hangfire, I would say that the Pyrodex performed very well. Seems that it performed better than when I used to use it regularly, about 10 years ago. Maybe Hodgen has improved the formula. In any case, Goex Black Powder is still the one to beat!

I used Pyrodex for years with caplocks and always had good accuracy too...but I never saw any difference in the one can of 'Select' that I tried to justify the greater cost so I always used RS

He's luring you in.
The next thing he'll give will be pellets.
Then he'll try to get you to shoot his unspeakable with the illuminated scope on top of it!!!
For the love of God, you must resist the temptations of this devil or surrender all sidelock weapons to me. I'll pay all shipping cost. :grin:

I use RS all the time in my TC Hawken .54 .Cal. Only hang fires I have had is when my patch was too wet. Pretty acurate. I have yet to fire any 2F out of it yet. Got to get me some.

I have never had a hangfire with pyrodex either and I have used a lot of it. I came through Marshfield, MO a couple years ago and they were closing out a wallyworld store. They had .54 sabots on sale for $1 a card. They had Remington caps on sale for $0.50 a can. They had pyrodex on sale for $1 a pound bottle. I took all the sabots, all the caps-8 cans, and all their pyrodex-about 25#. I have all the sabots left, 2 cans of the caps left and 18 pounds of powder left.

I usually use Goex. The Pyrodex works ok in the cannon in charges under 2 ounces. :winking:

B

I've used Pyrodex RS quite often and it find it very good subsitute for the real thing...black powder...Goex gives much better smoke...fires faster...and I think has a tad more power, although that I'm still researching

I used pyrodex RS until I ran out and got a can of triple seven....gonna try it today. Anyway;

To you guys who have shot pyrodex and also goex or othe BP, Whitch one cleaned up easier/better?

Gary

Mine loved 42grs 2ff RB and 110grs 2ff for max-ball. You could pump right thro a groundhog at 70yrds with the 42 grs. You couldn't heavy load it with RB. Dilly

Ice Tigre said:
I used pyrodex RS until I ran out and got a can of triple seven....gonna try it today. Anyway;

To you guys who have shot pyrodex and also goex or othe BP, Whitch one cleaned up easier/better?

Gary
In contrast to the marketing hype surrounding BP subs, IMO, Goex cleans up so easy there's nothing to improve upon...I use the same cleaning/lubing procedures regardles of what powder I burn so it's a non-issue to me.

No matter whether BP or BP subs, they all leave some form of objectionabloe residue and have to be thoroughly cleaned...none of them are like modern smokeless powder in that regard.

I have been using American Pioneer Powder 2F out of my .54 Renegade in order to conserve my supply of Goex, and it performs well. No hang fires to speak of, and a 100 grain charge with PRB gives identical results to 90 grains of Goex. I will still use real BP for hunting but I think I will plink with the fake stuff. The closest store that still carries real BP is The Log Cabin Shop and that is over 70 miles away.

lakota said:
I have been using American Pioneer Powder 2F out of my .54 Renegade in order to conserve my supply of Goex, and it performs well. No hang fires to speak of, and a 100 grain charge with PRB gives identical results to 90 grains of Goex. I will still use real BP for hunting but I think I will plink with the fake stuff. The closest store that still carries real BP is The Log Cabin Shop and that is over 70 miles away.
I'm doing something similar...down to my last couple pounds of RS from a Walmart end of year buyout years ago where I bought 15-20lbs of it as I recall...using it in "layered loads" in my Flintlocks for weekend plinking...20grns Goex 3F downnbore first followed by 30grns RS...an excellent 25/50yd target load and uses up the leftover RS

Ice Tigre said:

Gary

I sent my wife out to get me some Pyrodex at Walmart some months ago because they were on sale for about $9.00. She came home with 11 of em. :rotf:

I like black better but this was cheap. Now about how they clean up. IMHO, the Pyrodex is more caustic. (sp?) I made the mistake once of not getting the barrel cleaned overnight. It came out rusty the next morning! :shocked2: No damage but my experience with Goex BP does not do this.

Ice Tigre said:

Gary

You may have ignition problems with T-7 if you are shooting caplock and you will probably not get ignition at all with a flintlock.
As Roundball said, they all clean up the same.

HD

I can get rust in my bore after about 3/4 of an hour (distance home) from shooting with pyro RS...

I only had 5 balls yesturday :redface: ... first shot wouldn't fire after 3 caps, I primed under the nipple and it went. :shake: the next shot hang fired, about 3-4 seconds. :cursing: this was with RS from my horn, I think I had damp powder in it. :cursing:

I only made 1 shot with the T7, it fired fine, but I didn't have my smaller measure, so I fudged my measurement, kicked hard and over-shot. need to play with the 15% reduction...

I'm babbling.. :yakyak: :yakyak: Sorry. :redface: :redface:

Gary

Thats really strange Ive used t-7 in my underhammers from 36 to 62 cal and 2 Hawkens, and another 1/2 dozen guns with no problem :confused: I am getting some delayed fireing from American PP, kind of like it goes bangand a split second later goes BOOM?? The BP doesnt do any of these, :grin: Fred :hatsoff:

lakota said:
I also use to use American Pioneer Powder in my percussion sidelocks. Gave good results when shooting on the range right out of the can, and like you say, need a heavier charge to equal same results as Goex, and was light on fouling. However I have to admit during deer hunting season, I was using APP and left my ML loaded for several days. I decided to unload it and put in a fresh load. I fired at my usual target, noticed that recoil was light, and upon discharge, did not sound the same. My accuracy was also poor. I will only use real black powder now for hunting.

I wouldn't give one buck for all that stuff combined. I only use real stuff. Just MHO. Your resusults may be different. Good luck.

After several months of waiting for a dry day on my day off I made it to the range. I have a large stock pile of Pyrodex RS so I used that to test guns.

First gun was the .50 Underhammer with a heavy barrel and slow twist. 70 grains of RS and a patched round ball was averaging 3" at 75 yards. Just to see how my newly cast Maxi-balls would do, I started shooting them in the gun. At 85 grains of RS with the 263 grain bullet I was getting 3" at 75 yards also. :) I know if I tweek the load with real BP I should be able to shrink the groups.

With the .45 cal Underhammer I shot only the Maxi-balls. I was getting a tight group of about 2" with a couple of fliers probably from me.

On a side note, I was able to load without cleaning with Maxi-balls. With the .50 cal accuracy remained the same. With the .45 cal. accuracy changed after 10 shots.

I only lubed the base. What is interesting is that my barrels are 1:60" twist. So the Maxi-balls work if anyone is interested. :thumbsup:

Back