• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I was kinder hoping,,,,

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually get in at least one hunt for ground squirrels and hope to do so late July. Since my usual choice of rifle is a .54, the results are not all that photgenic. :haha:

Last year I took a coyote with a .50. One hundred and forty five yards (with a rest). The coyote hunters are always in a search for the perfect fur friendly bullet for the 3000 to 4000 fps varmint guns, but let me tell you that the .50 made a nice clean round hole going in and coming out. A bit bigger than a .22 entry, but way smaller than a .22 exit!! :shocked2:

This winter all of my coyote hunting will be with ML and prb.

145YARDS :shocked2: Well done, good shooting, bet your proud of that one.
How did the yote react? Did he go straight down or fight some?

Britsmoothy.

Went down on the spot and lost a massive amount of blood. I would not take that shot on a deer or an elk or any other big game animal. Not even with the rest. A hit almost anywhere on that coyote was going to put it down. I don't mind saying that I did not hit it where intended but the results were exactly as intended.

I would never take that shot on any big game animal, even with a rest. Placement is too important on a large animal and I can't place my shots with enough reliability at that distance to get the placement needed to consider it ethical or effective.

We don't talk about it much, and some will disagree with me on this, but I have a whole different ethics for different animals. I shoot prairie dogs and ground squirrels and leave them lay. Deer and elk are carefully shot to save the meat and the meat carefully handled for consumption. Coyotes come somewhere in between. :wink:

marmotslayer said:
Went down on the spot and lost a massive amount of blood. I would not take that shot on a deer or an elk or any other big game animal. Not even with the rest. A hit almost anywhere on that coyote was going to put it down. I don't mind saying that I did not hit it where intended but the results were exactly as intended.

I would never take that shot on any big game animal, even with a rest. Placement is too important on a large animal and I can't place my shots with enough reliability at that distance to get the placement needed to consider it ethical or effective.

We don't talk about it much, and some will disagree with me on this, but I have a whole different ethics for different animals. I shoot prairie dogs and ground squirrels and leave them lay. Deer and elk are carefully shot to save the meat and the meat carefully handled for consumption. Coyotes come somewhere in between. :wink:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Back