• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I went Flea'Un today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found a few interesting things at the Flea Mkt. that followed me home. That corn knife at the top will make some nice knives. I should be able to easily get two forged blades, maybe three from the corn knife. The front of the knife is almost blade formed already, I just need to forge into the knife a handle. That antler is a really nice fit in the hand. Not too big, not too small. It will make a great handle for one of the knives and maybe a powder measure or two. The little tin box will make a dandy flint and steel and tinder box. I just need to remove the advertisement from the front. The files are all Nicholson and Black Diamond files. They will go into a 6% vinegar bath over night to remove rust and help re-sharpen the file teeth to make them usable again. I found a nice file handle. You are probably wondering what is up with the Christmas decoration horn ?? After I unsoldered the the front of the horn, it made a dandy funnel for filling powder horns.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Attachments

• Flea'Un 1.JPG
    Flea'Un 1.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 7
  • horn funnel.JPG
    horn funnel.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
When I read the title of your post, I thought you'd gotten a new ML or something and mamma was mad. Figured auto correct changed "fleeing" to "flea'un" and you were on the dodge to avoid he wrath! 🤣

Good score! Mamma has the same horn declaration. That's a good idea you had for the funnel. Wonder if she'd notice............🤔

Educate me how do you sharpen a file
I have vinegar that is stronger than normal vinegar. It is cleaning vinegar, 6%. I'll soak the files overnight for 24 hours. That vinegar will remove rust and also has the effect of slightly eating away metal to sharpen the dull tooth edges of the file. I wouldn't leave the files in for more time than that as I don't want to eat away too much metal . I'll go over the files to tomorrow in the early evening with a fine metal brush to clean out any rust that was in between all the teeth. Once cleaned, I'll wash the files with water and baking soda to neutralize the acid effects then oil the files. The companies that sharpen files do the same process but use a stronger acid and leave the files in their acid for a shorter time period.
Ohio Rusty ><>

I have vinegar that is stronger than normal vinegar. It is cleaning vinegar, 6%. I'll soak the files overnight for 24 hours. That vinegar will remove rust and also has the effect of slightly eating away metal to sharpen the dull tooth edges of the file. I wouldn't leave the files in for more time than that as I don't want to eat away too much metal . I'll go over the files to tomorrow in the early evening with a fine metal brush to clean out any rust that was in between all the teeth. Once cleaned, I'll wash the files with water and baking soda to neutralize the acid effects then oil the files. The companies that sharpen files do the same process but use a stronger acid and leave the files in their acid for a shorter time period.
Ohio Rusty ><>
Good to know thanks .

Good score. I go thrift store diving and have seen several of those horns. Never occured to me to do what you did with yours. Thanks for the tip. Now that I have a use for them I'll probably never see another one. 😆

Ohio Rusty ><>
Thankyou , good to know

Back