• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Idaho DFG / Traditional ML

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wtilenw

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Here's a link to the latest IDFG news regarding the use of traditional muzzleloaders for hunting,
Idaho PRB

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/apps/releases/view.cfm?NewsID=3591

Outstanding!! Sounds like they are on the right track!!!! Keep muzzleloading season for sidelocks only.

B

The part about projectile size and weight are spooky, this could push the RB aside in favor of all the modern maxi, Buff -ballets and the rest of the non-traditional projectiles, this would make a traditional season a joke.

I agree, TG. I am staying on top of this as much as I can and will protest loudly if that is what they are up to.

I guess many states have limitations on projectiles, Oregon has a .40 cal min. on deer and a .50 on Elk which about as low as most think one should go but many have used the .32-.36 on deer, if they get into muzzle energy the prb is in for trouble even though it is not comparing apples to apples when put rb numbers against centerfire numbers...keep us posted, let's hope it ends up being a step in the right direction.

Ours are .45 for deer and .50 for elk.I for one will protest loudly alongside IDRB if they want to mess with the our balls :nono: I am sure Toby and company are about to tell us how backward and out of touch we really are. :yakyak:

Toby!..now there's someone who needs his projectiles removed.......

tg said:
Toby!..now there's someone who needs his projectiles removed.......
I think Toby's already had his removed . . . That's why he feels the need for bigger (read, more expensive), better (read, more expensive), faster (read, more expensive), more technologically advanced (read, more expensive) - grunt, grunt, grunt . . .

Watch yer topknot . . . Otter

The link above wasn't directly to the page with the press release, but here it is:

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/apps/releases/view.cfm?NewsID=3606

"The link above wasn't directly to the page with the press release, but here it is:" QUOTE

The link must have expired, it worked when I posted it.......Thanks for re-posting it.
Idaho PRB

I know my .50 cal Prb will kill a deer or Elk, or moose etc. If the new rules on caliber and weight are adopted this effectively becomes a .54 cal state if you like PRB's. I wonder if all the other states that allow .40 cal as the minimum's animals are just totally wimpy compared to our manly western beasts :rotf:. If all this stuff is inadequate then how did we survive long enough to inhabit the whole country :hmm:

i sent them an e-mail regarding that min. cal and weight to a min. of .50 and to make the min weight at 175 grains to include the effective PRB in .50....this also keeps the sabots out that are a .44 pistol bullet in a .50 rifle....so all of ya's git a sending the same e-mail through there contact us on there website....they will get it and respond to it like they did me in the past :v ..............bob

It looks to me like they have already headed in the wrong direction if they think .45 rbs are not good enough for deer and I assume that when they are talking about projectiles, it includes all the modern bullets for ML's, they are way out in left field when they try to judge the RB and "bullets" by weight and caliber in the same arena. I don't see where they are really doing much here or have much practical knowledge of ML hunting, to bad but not surprising.

I agree with TG in the fact that the IDFG are heading in the wrong direction in trying to exclude the .45 for deer. Send in your comments and/or fill out the online survey to express your experiences and opinions on this subject. Lets not give them a foothold on phasing out the PRB a step at a time. Vote, it really does make a difference!
Idaho PRB

I think they are missing the point. with the side lock issue and not adressing modern sights and projectiles these two factors determine traditional, it may well be to late to expect a truely traditional season without modern peeps and adjusrable sights and maxi balls and bal-lets
being interjected, these just do not belong in a traditional ML hunt, they are what opened the door to the conflict we now have between early and modern tech. in this sport.

Billy Lo said:
Outstanding!! Sounds like they are on the right track!!!! Keep muzzleloading season for sidelocks only.

B
And underhammers can just suffer, eh? :blah:

Idaho PRB said:
Send in your comments and/or fill out the online survey to express your experiences and opinions on this subject.
Idaho PRB

Just questioning if you think it's ethical for out-of-staters, who have no intention of ever hunting Idaho, to fill out this survey? I wouldn't want you to influence regulations in PA. :hmm:

"And underhammers can just suffer, eh?"

point well taken, it seems that to be traditional it only has to be a sidelock that loads from the front....modern bullets and sights are OK...which makes the gun ballisticaly equal to the modern ML's someone needs to rethink the whole concept here and get things back to the basics.

The boys from the modern muzzeloading sights are using this oppertunity to flood the IDFG with their 2 cents worth! I have been checking the other sites and full advantage is being taken by the inliners.

I don't believe that the proposed regulations would eliminate using a PRB. According to the survey the new regs would read as follows:

The Commission will consider the following change:
projectiles must be a minimum of 49 caliber or have a minimum weight of 240 grains for hunting deer, pronghorn, or mountain lion; and
projectiles must be a minimum of 49 caliber or have a minimum weight of 300 grains for hunting elk, moose, bighorn sheep, mountain goat, or black bear

Notice the word (or) in the wording. If the word (and) was in the wording I would definitely be worried myself.

Back