• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ideas for an out of state hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don't want to spend my hunting $ in Colorado this year, so I'm looking for ideas for a hunt we (wife & I ) have not had yet.

We have limited $ Due to a funeral this summer. But we are not horn hunter, so I'm hoping to find a new experience for us. We have never hunted whitetail, or hogs. So I was thinking about a Doe/hog hunt or some such. Wife is a Montana Girl & is fine with Tent camp.

Any thought or Ideas would help.

Sean,
Plenty of whitetails in MT, however the deadline to submit out of state applications was March.
http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/licenses/all/nativeHuntingLicense.html

I understand that money might be too tight this year but: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=hunting.main

LOL To Late for Montana to little $ for Alaska.

I would :surrender: but my wife needs a hunt/camp it has been a hard summer for her.

South GA swamps for Hogs and the Lesser Southern Miniature Whitetail Deer. Bucks and Does are legal, Coyotes, and hogs are a near free for all.

Out of State Big Game license is like 200.00 or so bucks. Camping is free, huge {for us} areas to roam.

Depending on the time of year it might be quite cold though. Like down in the 60s or 50s

Supercracker said:
Depending on the time of year it might be quite cold though. Like down in the 60s or 50s
How do you manage such nasty temperatures? :rotf: :rotf: :wink:

Supercracker said:

wow ------------------------------- :grin:

Late fall to mid winter my work is slow. I will look into dates & get with the wife. I may PM you in a week or so for more info if that's ok. Never been to Georgia except as a Mover :( We could use some fresh sights!

What about some of the Buffalo hunts in your area? You have to figure being closer to home you will save on gas. Then on a buffalo you need to figure the value of a lot of meat ( and good meat at that). A buffalo hunt is one of those hunts on my "to do" list.
You could mount the head or sell it for $$$, same with the hide- I'm pretty sure it would have some value as well.
In order to reasonably expect to harvest a whitetail from a southern beanfield- the cost will likely be about the same.

Possiblly whitetails in NE near and west of McConaughy res. Or black hills whitetails.

Hogs and deer is either OK or TX. Hogs are cheap but they sell their deer kinda high.

Just found this today:
http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/licenses/nowAvailable.html
If you've always wanted to hunt deer and elk in Montana, 2013 IS THE YEAR!

Montana has nonresident deer and elk combination licenses available now. No drawings. And elk numbers in 85% of Montana's hunting districts are at or over objective.

BUY ONLINE: Purchase a nonresident combination hunting license online.

BUY IN FWP OFFICES: Purchase a nonresident combination hunting license at the nearest FWP Office.

> The 2013 Archery Season runs Sept 7””Oct 20. Archers must meet archery & hunter education requirements.

> 2013 General Big Game Season runs Oct 26””Dec 1

> Big Game (Deer & Elk) Combo License””$954

> Youth Big Game Combo License””$482
(Unlimited - Paper application only (PDF))

> Elk Combo License””$804

> Deer Combo Licenses””$565

*Combo licenses also include a fishing license, upland game bird license & Hunting Access Enhancement Fee.

One thing about Georgia and Alabama. A lot is said about 100% success rates, etc- that is on private land. On public land the rate drops down to about a 30% success rate. Florida is the same, 100,000 deer a year shot but if you add up all the deer shot on all the wma's, that totals around 3,000 so the reality in Florida is 97,000 deer a year shot on private land and everyone else getting 3,000 deer a year on public land.

This is true. Our wildlife management areas are hunted hard by folks, especially down here since just about all the woods are gone and habitats been destroyed for development. :cursing: The only thing left is our WMAs to hunt. If you're lucky to find some private land to buy and hunt, you usually have better luck. Unless its been hunted out from poachers :cursing:

So for us residents, its either try your luck in the WMAs, drop some money for property (which can get expensive), or spend money at the game farms that are popping up all over the country. (And buying up all the public land :cursing: :cursing: )

If'n I was you, I'd stay in Colorado until the money situation improves. Spending money on "non-resident" licenses can add up and really don't ensure a good hunt....unfamiliar territory requires a lot of research to achieve a satisfactory hunt. Evidently guides or outfitters are out of the running due to your limited finances and besides, not all guides and outfitters "treat" non-residents fairly.

There must be a hunt in Colorado that you haven't experienced and judging from my past hunts...plenty of beautiful camping spots......Fred

How about a hog/deer hunt in Oklahoma or Texas?

Should be able to find a management hunt for doe & hog in December 2013/January 2014

Back