• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ideas to invent ML hunting in GE!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PreglerD

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello from Germany!

As you all know the number of ML hunters in GE is stil very scarce. In most cases the hunters doesn't believe in the ML as a full hunting rifle. Now a friend and I have the plan to make a hunting target shooting with ML at a range in our area here in southern Bavaria. We plan to invite interested hunters, then they can bring along their own ML or borrow one and make shoots at a fox target and a roebuck target. Further more we will show them equipment, various trad. ML rifles, and finally pics of harvested game we had taken.

What do you all think about that my fellow US hunters?

Regards

Kirmeister

It sounds like a wonderful idea to me. It should be a great educational experience for the un-initiated. Best of luck to you. :thumbsup:

kirrmeister,

Taking such a proactive stance and actions to promote the sport? GOOD SHOW !

Jay

Great idea .I suspect that a number of German hunters are concerned about the power generated by muzzleloaders for the purpose of taking game humanely. I would add some charts to compare external ballistics with some shotgun slug loads. I know that in my state I would rather use a muzzleloader than a shotgun. Anyways, another idea may be to have some sort of ballistic medium to show what damage a conical bullet can produce. Many people, especially hunters, tend to believe things after they see them. This may be the way to present your case and spread the idea of hunting with the muzzleloader in Germany.

A very good idea, and one that has worked very well here. I am a Hunter Safety instructor in Colorado. During our Hunter Safety classes, one of the other instructors (a buckskinner), and I bring in our personal traditional muzzleloaders for the classroom session on archery and muzzleloading. Hunter Safety is required in order to buy a hunting license in Colorado. We usually time this session to be on the Friday evening before our Saturday range day, and really talk blackpowder up that night. We discuss their history and practical limitations for hunting, such as the shorter range, but that there is no animal in Colorado they can't put down, including buffalo (none of those in the wild, just on private game ranches). On the range day, the students are required to shoot .22 caliber rifles safely to pass the class. We then give them the optional oppurtunity to shoot the muzzleloaders we showed them the night before. No one has yet turned down the chance. Even the parents of the younger students want a turn. Lots of smiles after everyone shoots when they get a little smoke in their faces. We generally use light roundball loads, but let those who want to shoot full power hunting loads do so. We have one old CVA Bobcat percussion gun for the kids and smaller ladies, and full size percussion and flintlocks for everyone else. Surprisingly, there is always at least one lady who wants to shoot a full power load. No one, man or woman, has ever complained about the recoil (unless we sneak in a big conical- usually for the 18 to 25 year old dudes).
Class size varies from 30 to 60, but there is usually a couple people after every class who say they want to pursue blackpowder shooting futher. We give those people our phone numbers and mentor them if they want when they get around to buying a muzzleloader. The only drawback to this I see is more people competing for my license during the Colorado muzzleloading license lottery draw.

This is a great idea. As a suggestion, check all the equipment, Powder, ML that are brought by the others to shoot. Please explain to them the importance of making sure the right type of powder is used! You might even bring some photos of what happens if you use smokeless powder instead of the correct size black powder or substitute.

Like someone else wrote you might want to bring something to shoot at to show what a conical and a roundball will do at various distances. I think they will be surprised to see that a roundball is quite effective at the proper distances. Best of luck and let us know how it goes. Photos would be very nice too of you get together!

Perhaps we will shoot at phone books (wet) or soap blocks.

Don't mind about saftey. Here in Gemany you have to make a saftey and handling course and shoot 6 months until you get a bp permission from the authority. But single shot ML guns are free for people over 18.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Try a large (10 kilo or more) block of firm modeling clay! The cavity at the back from a .50 or .54 caliber round ball at 75 yards should impress anyone. Remind them that before cartridge arms lead round balls felled elephant and cape buffalo. :thumbsup:

-Ray

Back