• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

identifying a barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a rifled,40 cal.barrel with the only mark being a small broken circle and 40 cal. stamped on it. The barrel is threaded for a breech plug and 44 inches long. 1/48 twist. Any ides as to the maker?

how is the circle broken, Green Mountain uses a circle, a picture would go along way to helping here.

:photoSmile:

Thinking the same thing, G.M., and I believe their .40 barrels were rifled with 1/48 twist. I wonder if the barrel was previously on a rifle, and the mark ended up where it was exposed. Perhaps someone tried to sand it off and left some of the circle.

If it's a G.M., the rifling should be square bottom, and the grooves will be about 1-1/2 times wider than the lands. 8 grooves, I'm pretty sure. That rifling won't prove that it's a G.M., but if it has some other kind of rifling, it will proove that it's not. Make sense? Bill

Oops, I don't think G.M. made a 44" barrel. I believe 42" was their limit. I wonder if the open circle is a "C", as in Colerain. I've used Colerains a bunch, but can't remember what their logo looked like. Sometimes their barrels are so rough I end up filing every flat, even the hidden ones, so no logo.

Can anyone else answer this? Bill

Yes, they make a 44" barrel length. I have 4 Green Mountain 13/16" x 44" .40 cal barrels. Bought them at Friendship about 4 years ago.

Keith Lisle

Back