• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

If that's not the bee's knees...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George

Cannon
Reaction score
It’s not every day I get to add a new trophy to my list of game taken with muzzleloaders, so today is a red-letter day.

We have a little nook at out house, a sort of Japanese garden with a tea house and a nice bench. Bumblebees/carpenter bees love to drill holes in the bench and the house, and I wage war on them constantly with a badminton racket. I’ve whacked a lot of them this spring, but one particular place is beyond reach, up at second-story gutter level, and they get up there, hover and refuse to join battle. It’s about 15-20 feet to them. I needed to extend my reach.

Viola! I loaded my 20 gauge flintlock pistol with 20 grains 3F, 2 OS cards, 30 grains equivalent of fine white sand and an OS card. Took two shots, killed two bees, recovered one.

Does anyone know, can you train a birddog to retrieve bees?

Spence

Dang it Spence!...stop shooting my pollinators....
I need all I can get... :cursing:

If someone sees you running around in your 18th century outfit slaying bees with a flintlock, they might call the guys with the net and white coats.... :haha:

Excellent! Now tied that bee on a hook and catch a bass with it. Then put that bass out on a bait pile and kill a bear over it. Then stop there - you don't want to try killing whatever eats bear with a flinter.

zimmerstutzen said:
Lose the sand too abrasive. A substitute that works just as good....... GRITS!
wondering how rice would work.
Don't wanna po those bee's

Did you have to lead that bee much?..maybe jug choke that bbl...HaHa!

I made 6 bee traps to put on my wood deck, the carpenter bees were destroying it more and more every year.

I may have one or two bees drill on my deck this summer, before the traps it would be dozens at the same time.

I use a BB gun for the ones out of tennis racket range. That air powered Round ball really blows them up. A cheap lever action works good and is good practice. Remember air guns and Round balls have been around for a long time so you could wear tradition garb and be Forum legal. :wink:

Larry

Eric Krewson said:

A more simple trap is to just take the bottle you attached on the bottom and cut off the top a few inches down. Invert the top and put it in the bottom half like a funnel. Put some sweet stuff (soda, sugar water, juice, etc) in the bottom...just a bit. The bees go in, but cannot figure out how to get out even though there's an open bottle-neck sized hole in the middle to climb out of. They keep climbing up the sides and hitting the inverted top. Eventually, they just die. We do this camping in the fall when the bees/wasps seem to be quite active.

Back