• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

If you could only have ONE muzzleloader?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Yanta

45 Cal.
Reaction score
If you could only have one muzzleloader and make it do everything you need, what would be your selection.

For me I it would have to be my 28 gauge Northwest Trade Gun flintlock I made from a TVM kit. I think a .530 or .535 diameter ball would be more that adequate for deer sized game out to 60-70 yards. It could also be loaded with shot for upland and small game. It is light and easy to carry.

I also think because I made the gun I know every part and how it relates to every other part. I also know how to tweak and tune it for optimum service.

So, what would be your pick and why?

Joe

My Navy Arms double barrel .12 ga. With that gun i can hunt anything on the planet, from mice to elephants. Birds, small game, or large game, anything. It has always been reliable, always goes off when i pull the triggers. Light enough to carry, and a quick second shot if needed.

Joe Yanta said:
If you could only have one muzzleloader and make it do everything you need, what would be your selection.

For me I it would have to be my 28 gauge Northwest Trade Gun flintlock I made from a TVM kit. I think a .530 or .535 diameter ball would be more that adequate for deer sized game out to 60-70 yards. It could also be loaded with shot for upland and small game. It is light and easy to carry.

I also think because I made the gun I know every part and how it relates to every other part. I also know how to tweak and tune it for optimum service.

So, what would be your pick and why?
Joe

My newly acquired Green Mountain 15/16" x 33" x .54cal Flint Smoothbore drop-in barrel for a TC Hawken has won me over as the one muzzleloader I would keep.

Shoots patched Hornady .530's like a rifle in a 50yd test and throws an outstanding pattern of #6's in a 25yd test.

Hey Joe,

I'd have to say I'd keep my tradegun over anything else too. Mine'a custom build 28 ga. I shoot better with it than most of my friends do with their rifled guns. It is definitely my "go-to" gun.

Charcloth

my .45 heritage underhammer. squirrels to deer. plus i have confidence that the shot is going where i aim it.

My London Fusil. Light weight and kill anything on the continent depending on how I load it. Plus it's flint so I wouldn't have to buy caps. Got plenty of powder and lead to last quite awhile. Flints too.BTW, mine is a 20 ga. and it's built from a 36" Getz barrel and I used the Barnett lock from NSW. Lean mean killing machine.
Don

As for what model i don't know?It would be a flintlock,smoothbore of about 20 to 16 ga.good beefy stock of maple.about a 36' bbl.Also a set of spare parts cock, frizzen and springs, set of screws.This would keep me going for a long time. :thumbsup:

If I could only have one? I don't know. T/C Hawken percussion & flint, T/C Renegade percussion & flint, T/C Seneca, T/C High Plains Sporter, T/C White Mountain Carbines, T/C Penn. Hunter Carbine, T/C Patriot, T/C New-Fangled things we don't talk about, and a few others, from various manufactures. I'd rather have a root canal than give any of them up!

Yeah, me too. I sure would miss my Hawkens and my .45 Lancaster rifle....and my other smoothbores too. :(

Though I have only fired a few shots thru it, I would choose my circa 1730 French Fusil, with a .58 bore it will handle a ball from .530-.570 and should do well with close shot charges, no other gun has ever come to eye and shoulder as well for me...I may very well sell the others and indeed have only one gun.

My .50 caliber pre-Revolutionary Virginia flintlock. 43"x15/16" Douglas barrel, flintlock built on my own lockplate using Siler parts (very similar to Chambers' Golden Age flintlock, but without a pan bridle), cherry stock with a great deal of English fowler influence. I built this gun more on a whim, than for any other reason, but everything about it just works for me.

It would be a flintlock smoothbore, because it can fire shot, a roundball, and even buckshot and ball at the same time...

Flintlock because you can always find a sparking stone, once caps are gone, your gun becomes a club...

walruskid1 said:
my .45 heritage underhammer. squirrels to deer. plus i have confidence that the shot is going where i aim it.

Works for me, but I'd like a switch barrel version, with 20 gauge smoothy, .50 rifle and .36 rifle barrels. :grin:

Beings that I only own One rifle, guess its an easy answer for me.

45 cal Virginy long rifle.
Swamped 42, Chambers Late Ketland, TN Black walnut,
L&R double sets, Iron hardware.

Would have to be a smoothbore - personally, I prefer a 62 cal. - 20 guage flinter. Wouldn't need to be fancy - steal hardware would be fine. :thumbsup:

Back