• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ignition

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leonard1

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey Fella's, it's me again. God Bless you guys! The previous owner of my "on its way" TC Renegade 54cal rifle uses Triple Seven powder and CCI #11 caps. Are these caps hot enough for 777? I've been reading where 209 primers are the suggested source of ignition for this powder. I'm going to try what previous owner's been using before considering any changes. Just the first in a slew of questions for you guys. Thanks!

You don't need the 209 primers. What you need is the CCI #11 magnum primers. Actually any brand of #11 magnum primers will work fine with Triple 7. Don't even think of using 209 primers because they require an adaptor that is a pain in the butt to mess with and they will give you absolutely no advantage over the #11 magnum primers.

P.S. Bring on the questions.

Hadn't had any trouble with cci or rws. I have two trade rifle which are pretty much the same as gpr as far as barrels go. Same drum ect. Seems like the rws give more consistant accuracy.

tcrenegade54 said:
I've been reading where 209 primers are the suggested source of ignition for this powder.

Shows you've been reading tripe from guys who don't know what they're talking about. Triple Seven is easier to light off than Pyrodex, and especially AP. And it works dandy with #11's- the plain ones and not the mags.

I'd take a real hard look at anything else said by your "experts." Seems to me you could write their words on paper, roll it up and hang it on the wall in your bathroom. Be sure to use waterproof ink to avoid smears. :rotf:

BrownBear said:
Triple Seven is easier to light off than Pyrodex, and especially AP. And it works dandy with #11's- the plain ones and not the mags.

While Ive never used Triple Seven, I have used Pyrodex for most of my time firing these things. Ive never had a misfire with Pyro that was the fault of the cap or the powder type. Soo, it T7 is easier to light, dont bother with the magnum caps by golly the CCI 11 standards are more n enuff!!

Swiss and Goex's Olde Eynsford give very similar results as Triple 7 in the same measure. If you wanted to switch to BP.

Olde E is very reasonably priced compared to Triple 7.

When it comes to using Substitute powder, I had better luck using Pyrodex rs or P over triple 7. If you can't get real BP, Give Pyrodex rs a try, it's usually much cheaper than triple 7.

The trouble I was having way back wen I used common CCI #11's an T7 was the nipple getting plugged with the paper from the cap.
That was over 10yrs ago, maybe they changed something since then. :idunno:

Back