• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Illinois Fall Turkey

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I took the 12ga. flintlock out for the fall turkey season. It was hot and windy, and I hadn't seen a turkey yet by Monday afternoon, so I decided to burrow into a brush pile near a roost, and wait for something to walk by.

About 15 minutes till sundown, a large 8 point buck stood in front of me, eating acorns. I began to question the wisdom of hunting turkeys with the flintlock, when I could be hunting deer with my longbow. The deer jerked his head up and looked across the hollow, where I saw a flock of turkey gobblers making their way towards me. the first birds to go by, were out of my range, and suddenly, the buck charged at them, and ran them off. The rest of the flock came closer, and I had a small opening at one bird as he stopped.

I pulled the trigger, and at the flash, I think I lifted up a little. The ignition was slightly slower than normal, and I shot over his head. Birds scattered everywhere. I quickly reloaded, and made a few lost bird yelps. The first group of gobblers came running in from my left side. The last one in line finally stopped, and I drew down on him and let fly at about 30 yards. This time, the load of 6 shot rolled him, and I had my gobbler!

I used 90 grains 2f, an over powder card, 2 felt wads and a 90 grain volume of #6 shot, with a thin card. Turkey dinner tonight.

2014 fall turkey by okawbow, on Flickr

Excellent! :hatsoff:

I'm not a very skilled turkey hunter...in fact turkeys are my nemesis in the woods! I've read about but never tried to regroup turkeys after scattering them by blundering into them, etc. but clearly it works! I bet that big 8 pointer didn't come trotting back after the shot!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've often had turkeys stay around after a shot. Especially when it's a muzzleloader, they don't seem too bothered about it, unless you move, and they see you.

That buck was a real dandy, but I don't think he was too spooked either. I was well hidden in the brush, and I believe the sound of the muzzleloader is not much different than thunder to them.

Outstanding! Turkey and stuffing at your house...want me to bring the cranberry salad? :wink: :thumbsup:

Back