• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Illinois late deer season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tracy

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Today starts the late Illinois deer season.When I got up at Three thirty the temp was 29 below zero,wind chill minus 40 somthing.Now its up to 26 below,by noon they are calling for 10 below.I think bambi is safe today.Where is global warming when you need it

Here in New River, AZ it will be 74 degrees for a high and 45 degrees for a low. So when I go out today, I better take some sunblock and plenty of water. :grin:

Yep, I decided to sit the morning out too. I'm still thinkin' I'll try it this afternoon tho. For a few minutes anyway. :haha:

Ditto, going to scout about noon and start sitting about 3 or 4:00 when the squirrels start moving the deer will are you hunting with the plains pistol? I thought about using the plains pistol I bought but I aim to be on the ground in a sleeping bag, Lucky I hunt 200 yards from the friends house.

My friends think I am crazy but the way I feel the colder the better. There is just something about the cold and deer that gets my blood boiling.

It was -4 this morning in Southern Illinois when, after a hearty predawn breakfast at a local restaurant filled with countless deer stories, about 10 of us headed to the woods to drive deer. I was on a stand during the first drive and, with the radiant heat from the sun and standing behind a wind break, it was actually pleasant. It "heated up" to around 15 degrees as the day progressed and wasn't too bad. We managed to take 14 does in five drives. As sometimes happens, I was in the wrong spot all day; however, tomorrow is another opportunity and "...whose woods these are, I think I know...and I've got miles to go before I sleep, miles to go before I sleep..."

buttonbuck, Nope. I ain't using the plains pistol. Due to the goofy laws here I can't use a muzzleloading PISTOL because I used up my FIREARM tags(with my GPR) and all I have leftover is MUZZLELOADING RIFLE ONLY tags.
According to the legal geniuses in Springfield the only weapon I can use is a muzzleloading rifle on a ML tag. If I still had an unfilled firearm tag, or if I had bought a Late-Winter tag, I could use a ML pistol. :youcrazy:

I'll be out again tomorrow afternoon and all day Sunday.
Good luck to all you guys that can tough it out. :hatsoff:

Well its 14 above zero this morning,they are calling for a high of 29,a lot better than yesterday.I didnt get to hunt much in the other seasons so I have 4 tags left.I better get moving good luck hunting.

I went out this cold Saturday morning, after I cleared the tears out of my eyes there were 4 does bedded down and of course they were 25 feet on the neighbors property. I waited an hour and as the pain turned to numb I tried calling as a last ditch effort they booked about another 50 yards and bedded down again. Well hope to see them again this afternoon hope the 30 mph winds die down.

Well I saw the 4 does again got a shot at one a quick one and missed when I had to make a quick turn in the stand DOH!!!! at least she was not wounded but it still stings. THat is why it is hunting and not just shooting.

I managed to tag a nice doe this morning and plan to go out again tomorrow afternoon since I've still got a couple of tags left. Tomorrow will be the last day of deer season for this year, always a time of mixed feelings. I keep a log of my deer hunts (bow and gun) for the year and today was trip #39. Since I only have to drive anywhere from 10-25 minutes to get to where I'm going, these are mainly afternoon hunts, leaving me time in the morning to get things done around the house. Rabbit season closes on Thursday and squirrel on Feb. 15th. This gives me a few weeks to wind down and inventory my end-of-season hunting needs before the early April turkey season. Maybe I'll get some of that reading done that's been piling up.

i PLAN to hunt tomorrow morning and evening hope to encounter the group of deer again without the comedy of errors we all learn from.

Back