• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Images of original hunting bags

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoenix511

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Are there any websites that have images and descriptions of original 18th and 19th century American hunting bags? Various sources I've read say they seldom had a gusset or internal or external pockets. I'm interested in bags from all parts of the US.

I have Grant's book, but it covers mainly KY and PA, early to mid 19th century. The Albert book has excellent images and dimensions of originals, but I can't tell about the bag internals. Some images show a partial gusset at the bottom, but none with a full gusset.

Probably the survival rate is low due to the perishable nature of leather but I hope there are a few originals around in museums or private collections.

The Lemuel Lyman belt carried shot pouch of the Thayer collection comes to mind.
5X7, internal divider also acts as a welt. No lining, no gusset.

Careful to discriminate home cobbled from pro made or imported.

Not many examples left and if so they are most prob late 18th.

Try posting this in the Historically Accurate Equipment section for more possible hits.

Of the existing bags shown in publications the big problem is dating them accurately, this is also an issue with pre rev War guns and quite a few items we use on a regular basis, if we can date a couple of items then there is at least some characteristics that may lend them selves to a given time period but it could be a wide one or a narrow one.Many times we have to give it an intellegent/educated guess based on when is often little solid data.

Go to my album here: www.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Fatdutchman/Jaeger and you can see some period images of hunting bags, among other things. Most there are German, some American. I thought I had the "1725 English Gamekeeper" there, but I dont... I'll try to put it up there too when I get home.

Personally, I don't like gussets. They just curl up on themselves, and close up at the bottom...hiding stuff inside. They don't really gain you anything. A gusset that goes all the way to the top makes the bag opening too large, and it hangs open and is floppy. Tried that too. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
If you do a google search for (contemporary makers) there are lots of examples of modern made bags. Of course some makers may use artistic interpretation but most have researched or duplicated original things. A few bags shown there may be original too. I find the use of... macrame?... netting on the outside of some of the bags interesting. There was a bag in a museum supposedly owned by Daniel Boone that was like that but I don't know if it was authentic or not.

If you haven't bought it yet, pick up a copy of TC Alberts great book Recreating the 18th Century Hunting Pouch. Best $25 I've ever spent. There are excellent photos of something like 20 original bags, plus instros and patterns for making your own versions of several. Of course, with those great photos of originals, you can make lots more than those with patterns included.

Back