• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Images - Scottish Long guns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krolick

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Greetings, Here are some pics of 2 of the Scottish Long guns I've made. The one with the trigger guard is a 20 gauge fowler, 42" barrel built in March. The piece without is a 58cal rifled gun also with a 42" barrel built in Nov. Both are stocked in english walnut and would be of the 1650-1690s. Both have snaphunce locks that have been modified(see Whitelaws Treatise on Scottish Guns) with flintlock internals. The fowler has already seen much use - monthly smoothbore matches, range time and I used it for my woods walks/hunting this fall and winter. shoulders great, no problems. I've not tested the rifle yet. Hope to soon. Most respectfully. g.s.
PO20121224_0026_zps3e31e931.jpg
[/img]
PO20121224_0017_zps89f9a737.jpg
[/img]
PO20121224_0020_zpscff8d5d4.jpg
[/img]
PO20121224_0018_zps625627d8.jpg
[/img]
PO20121224_0030_zpsaf90976d.jpg
[/img]
PO20121224_0031_zps15e5db1b.jpg
[/img]

those are amazing looken pieces!

i do have to say they look quite heavy, may i ask what they weigh in at?

-matt

matt 85,thanks for your feedback.there actuly quite thin and light.the foweler is about 7lbs.the rifel, about 8/12.they have 14" trigger pulls with about 4"drops at the butt.at there thickest point,the wrist the are 1/12" wide.these handel extremly well,with the extream drop ones eye is lined up along the top of the barrel instantly.G.S.

Va.Manuf.06,thanks for your interest.there are only 28,possibly 29 surviving scottish long guns.3 are rifels,one a breechloader the rest are smooth bores.there is one musktoon and a few carbine size. most apear to be orignal with pirod repairs a few are late 19th centry composite pices. archaeolical remains of
2 have been found in the James Towne site,one at Martins Hunderd. these all apear to be late 16th century.so far none dateing later have been found on colonial sites.possible some 17th century pieces were used here but no solid documention has come to light.little is knowen about the origen of there style,only its celtic.even less is knowen about there constuction.ive spent years gatheing books and scaps of info.the ones ive made are all based on this info collection. G.S.

Really, REALLY, Way to cool.

Have you seen the new Rob Roy movie? Loaded with historic period firearms.

Smoothbore Addict,glade your likeing the images it took us awhile to get them out.the book is European Hand Firearms by Jaackson&Whitelaw printed ,1923 you my have to do some looking on the internet to find a copy,i got this one in 1990.also,look for Scottish Firearms by C. Blair and Robert Woosnam-Savage. another book ive found use full thoue not scottish is Russian Pistols in the 17th century by Leonid Tarassuk it has a photo of a late 17th century snaphunce converted to work like a flintlock useing all of its snaphunce parts altring only the battrie by adding a footing to its base to act as a pan cover and removeing the linked slideing cover .there are views of the inside & outside of the lock plate as well as an over all pictrue.thanks for takeing a look at the work ive done G.S.

Col.Batguano,good qwestion these are98% hand built.these 2 used a track 20 guage smoothbore barrel and a colrain 58 cal rifeled barrel. the locks are made by useing plate steel and siler/chambers lock intrenals and a lot welding,
hot shapeing and fileing.stocks come as a 8"by5'plank from Pecatonica.i have them cut a barrel and ramer chanel only, that way i can make any stock i need.ive been thinking of makeing a scottish stock pateren for Pectatonica it would save me time and not waist so much wood.all other parts are made here ,triggers,guards butt plates, ramer tips ,loops and pins ,screws ect.i have made these and other locks totaly from scratch but im likeing the consistent resalts i get from Chambes lock parts,thes locks must work flawlesly and be indestructible thats why ive been useing this method in this aplacation.all work is by hand i do have lathe and drillpress to help.thanks for your post G.S.

They are way way cool. I'm sure you are the first kid on your block with one!

That begs the questions though; How did you come up with the stock pattern, and lock design? It's not like you can just walk in to the Smithsonian and ask them to take a gun out of a case for you to handle and take a zillion measurements from, or borrow for a couple of months while you try to duplicate it.

Back