• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Indian matchlock...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bingo1952

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Did anyone see the Indian matchlock disection and test firing on History International last night? The way the powder chamber was shaped was interesting. It was a truncated cone with a constriction just ahead of it to keep the ball off the main charge for extra oxygen for faster combustion. They made reference to European mathlocks not being as powerful or as strong. This thing had a breech that looked to be at least 1/2-5/8" thick in the wall. They fired an original with a handful of powder, a dung and dirt wad (extra power so they said, probably extra stinky too), and a lead ball that looked to be a .69-.75 caliber and it didn't blow up.

Yep! That was pretty cool. I was surprised the guy who touched it off hid under the table they were shooting it from instead of using a fuse or something. :shocked2: That made me a little nervous, to say the least. It apparently had the same effect on the two Indian dudes as well, the way thaey trotted off to a safe distance. :haha: A pretty decent show, in all.

When you say a handful of powder, do you mean an actual HANDFUL? That would be a pretty good proof load what with the dirt, dung, ball, and all.

That's what it looked like to me. The guy had what looked like a palmful of powder that he dropped downbore right out of his hand. :shocked2: :hmm: In other words, not a great big fistful, but it did look like a lot of powder.

Gonnes with constriction chambers are usually made for the use of serpentine powder. You can tell when serpentine powder is being used, it sizzles a bit, before it finally let's go. Pressure builds up until the powder becomes superheated, then it finally goes boom.

The Tannenberg gonne uses such technology.

CP

:v Don't be surprised at the shooter under the table---I have never felt "SAFE" with my MTC Matchlock pistol. I tied it to a tire for the first ten loads---I don't trust those guns that are manufactured in "India or Pakistan." :thumbsup:

I was gasping in shock seeing them take a hacksaw to an original barrel over 300 yrs old!

We do have X-rays and such.....

Pasquenel said:
:v Don't be surprised at the shooter under the table---I have never felt "SAFE" with my MTC Matchlock pistol. I tied it to a tire for the first ten loads---I don't trust those guns that are manufactured in "India or Pakistan." :thumbsup:
Do you have any pics of this gun "in hand"? I've looked at it on their site, but I'd like to see how it looks in comparison to a person. It sounds pretty huge from their measurements. :shocked2: :thumbsup:

Back