• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Information please on .44 revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazybear

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I believe this is a navy .44 revolver, it is stamped with CVA, but it has Colt patent stamped on the cylinder. Any information would be greatly appreciated. It is in very good condition and tight with a light trigger.

Attachments

• BACFD711-D1A7-4E26-A79D-BF0EE17B5AA9.jpeg
    BACFD711-D1A7-4E26-A79D-BF0EE17B5AA9.jpeg
    134.3 KB
  • 77BEB414-2ADF-4960-BAD4-9F2779D5DD43.jpeg
    77BEB414-2ADF-4960-BAD4-9F2779D5DD43.jpeg
    94.3 KB
  • 4AB2632A-C262-497C-BDA8-CE945D19EAE2.jpeg
    4AB2632A-C262-497C-BDA8-CE945D19EAE2.jpeg
    93.9 KB
It is a reproduction made for the original CVA (Connecticut Valley Arms) probably in the late '70's or sometime in the '80's. CVA had most of its rifles made in Spain so it may have been made there or it could have been made in Italy. Only by looking at the proof marks on the barrel and frame can you find out.

It uses a .451 or .454 ball and, since it has a brass frame, you shoot keep your loads low around 20 to 25 grains of powder to keep the frame from stretching.

It is a reproduction made for the original CVA (Connecticut Valley Arms) probably in the late '70's or sometime in the '80's. CVA had most of its rifles made in Spain so it may have been made there or it could have been made in Italy. Only by looking at the proof marks on the barrel and frame can you find out.

It uses a .451 or .454 ball and, since it has a brass frame, you shoot keep your loads low around 20 to 25 grains of powder to keep the frame from stretching.
Right, the brass frame is known to stretch with heavier loads than that. But, this is the gun that med me fall in love with black powder. You could buy them without a license at Montgomery Ward or Mott's 5 and Dime when I was a kid! Good memories!

If you showed me the date code and other stampings I could ID it for you. Look on the underside of the barrel beneath the loading lever for ID marks. CVA imported various makes for their guns back in the day.

OK. That's the serial number. As low as it is, I'm guessing Navy Arms. Anything under the loading lever?
And yes, Zulch is correct. It's an 1860 Army model in .44 caliber.

Crazybear. Nice revolver. Do you see a small 2 alpha code stamp anywhere? Possibly underneath or on the side? Example code: AU.

The only stamp I see is a CVA stamp on brass frame and a Colt patent. Sep.10th 1850 on the cylinder

Connecticut valley arms inc. across the top of barrel” Engaged 16th May 1843” stamped on barrel, I guess referring to the battle of the ships on the cylinder.

Back