• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Initial 28ga PRB sight-in using life size Turkey target

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Filed sights to get elevation hitting in the middle then started moving POI to the right”¦need to tweak it another inch or so, but gave in to the cold & wind...will go back Friday and finish it off.

The life size target turned out to be an excellent training aid...unlike using shot-loads for the head & neck, using PRBs really makes you look hard for the small, heart / lung vital area.

032013InitialPRBsight-in54calSBTurkey_zpse5464dfc.jpg

Great shooting, Roundball!

Geraldo and I have been practicing head shots on similar life-size turkey targets with his .45 percussion and my .36 flinter. Can't wait to get in the turkey woods in a few weeks!

Dixie Flinter said:
"...practicing head shots on similar life-size turkey targets with his .45 percussion and my .36 flinter..."
:bow:
As nervously as a long beard twitches his head back & forth all around, seems like that would make it a tough target...on the other hand it would probably be a clean hit or miss.
(ours opens the 13th)

I'm jealous :cursing: we can only use shot here in Tn. :( I'd love to tackle a thunder chicken with "ole smokey" my 40cal SMTN.here's good luck to ya'll

roundball said:
Dixie Flinter said:
"...practicing head shots on similar life-size turkey targets with his .45 percussion and my .36 flinter..."
As nervously as a long beard twitches his head back & forth all around, seems like that would make it a tough target...on the other hand it would probably be a clean hit or miss.
(ours opens the 13th)

I agree! Nailed it 6 out of 6 times with the flinter offhand at 25 yards, however, will probably aim for the vitals on the first gobbler that presents itself :grin:

Dixie Flinter said:
roundball said:
Dixie Flinter said:
(ours opens the 13th)

I agree! Nailed it 6 out of 6 times with the flinter offhand at 25 yards, however, will probably aim for the vitals on the first gobbler that presents itself :grin:
You're probably a much better shot than I am I...don't trust myself to routinely take shots at tiny targets standing offhand...I did tag a squirrel that way a couple months ago and am still in disbelief about it, LOL.

For turkey hunting practice, I do my range practice from the same hunting position I use, sitting down leaning against a support post like it was a tree.

That looks like it ought to do it Roundball!

I've shot 5 or 6 fall birds with single projectiles (non-Muzzleloading). If you hit them anywhere in that center bullseye on the target there will not be any tracking required.

Shot most under 40 yards. some at 20.

High center spine is good if they get wary and start to leave. Just above the beard if he's coming straight at ya.

Good luck! Looks like you're already having fun!

Greg

majg1234 said:
I'm jealous :cursing: we can only use shot here in Tn. :( I'd love to tackle a thunder chicken with "ole smokey" my 40cal SMTN.here's good luck to ya'll

While I would LOVE to just use a rifle, I will have to be happy with my smoothrifle (which needs more time in the woods anyway since I haven't had it as long as my rifles). However, for the SPRING season, Texas says I have to use a shotgun, although they specifically said that there are no shotsize restrictions whatsoever. Well, my .54 smoothrifle is, as per the law, a shotgun, making it legal for turkey, and since there are no restrictions as to size, shape, or number of shot in my load, that means that a single large one, say .527" in my case, is perfectly legal if fired in my smoothbore barrel while being poaching if fired from my rifled barrel. Yes, it makes as much sense to me as it does to you, but that is the law, at least in my State. See if there is anything similar on the books in your State and you just may find something useful. Either way, best of luck this season.

Roundball, sounds like there will be a turkey dinner at your place very soon. I'm glad this is working for you. On my end however, I have some bad news. I have been hunting Corps of Engineers land since my lease got sold out from under me, and I just found out that they cancelled turkey season for this spring at my local lake a few days ago, which makes it about 2 weeks before start of season. So unless I can find another place to hunt them, which I'm not really holding my breath on, I will probably be sitting out this season. I haven't checked the other area lakes yet, but even if they are available, they are far enough away to where I will only be able to make one or two hunts, and that's if I'm lucky. So best of luck, and take plenty of pictures of your hunt.

Don't feel bad about the shot requirement. It just opens up another fun thing to hunt with Black Powder.

That is a fine shooting rifle especially for one with such a plain stock. Geo. T. :wink:

Back