• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

inlay for Lyman GPR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lyman

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I would like to do some inlay on my Lyman GPR stock. Is there some one that has done this before? and what are some suggestions on how to do it. Will I have to sand down the whole stock and re-oil it to make it look right? Any help would be appreciated.
Bob :)

Hey 54RB, Do you have access to some pictures of Hawken rifles to see what kinds of inlays were found on Hawken rifles? After you inlet the inlays there is no reason to sand the whole stock. Usually you can file and sand the areas that are effected from the inlay work and simply strip the finish off the rest of the stock then steel wool or burnish the whole stock with the green Scotch-Brite pads. After that go ahead and stain to your liking and seal and varnish. I recommend Laurel Mountain Forge stock finishing products. Sometimes stripping the old varnish off is as easy as painting on some LMF stain and immediately using the Scotch-Brite pad to take the finish off. Something in the LMF stain will soften finish if painted over it. Works like a charm. Good luck to you.
Don

Back