• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Installing Powder drum

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy Tuftee

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi guys first time rifle builder,a J.Armstrong PR 50 cal with a
green river barrel should I worry how far the
drum threads go into the bore.
Thanks,
tufman

the drum should not thread into the bore at all. should stop lust short of going into bore.

ChrisPer is right about the cleaning jag but there is more to the story.

First off, yes when you tap the hole there should be full threads going all the way into the bore.

Speaking of the drum, the threads on the drum should end right where the threaded hole meets the bore.
If the threads stick into the bore it will make cleaning the lower part of the breech impossible and it will also create a blockage for the powder when you charge the gun.

Once when I built a precussion rifle I couldn't wait to shoot it.
When I got to the range, it would mis-fire 2 out of 3 times. It wasn't until I got home and tried to clean it that I realized the drum threads were protruding into the bore.
After removing the drum and shortening the threads (like I should have done to begin with) everything was fine. It fires 100 percent of the time now.

Back