• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Interested in 1742 longland

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old hop

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm interested in the D. Gen's 1742 long land bess. Does anyone have one that can give me some input?

I do not have one, but I have a second (short) lad pattern. I believe that I got what I paid for and and have no complaints.

The 1st is much heavier, but more correct for some situations.

CS

A British Marine that falls in with us at events has one.
Very happy with it, although for my tastes the main spring is too strong... bit of a bear to pull the cock back, and a lot of pressure needed on the trigger. That can be addressed by someone that knows what they're doing.
Seems to spark every time, though.
It's quite heavy too, but then the Long Lands were heavier than the 2cd short lands.
You might want to also look at Middlesex and Loyalist Arms Long lands, Middlesex sells the gun with a bayonet, sling, and flash guard for the same, if not less, price as DG.

I do have one and I love it! It it the most reliable gun I own. The key to this gun is to use French flints in it. The most amazing spark everytime. I have yet to have it misfire, even in the rain. The weight really is not much of concern considering you are carrying around a cannon. Works well stuffing shot down the barrel too, I use it bird hunting somethimes and turkey. Love it!

I do have one and I love it! It it the most reliable gun I own. The key to this gun is to use French flints in it.

You use French flint in an English gun? :eek: :rolleyes: :D

Just ribbing you a bit, I have a large chunk of French flint sitting on my desk right now, just waiting to become musket flints...

I finally got to handle a Bess and a 1777 Charleyville the other day. The Bess is about a lb lighter than the 1777, but still not what i would want for wingshooting or carrying in the mountains all day. I pulled the hammer to full cock just to check how far back it came. That lock has a real long throw. How do you guys that shoot them hold still long enough for the hammer to fall? ::

Figured it had to be somethng like that. So, how many seconds does it take to complete it's fall? :: 1-1000
2-1000, 3-1000. ::

Figured it had to be somethng like that. So, how many seconds does it take to complete it's fall? :: 1-1000
2-1000, 3-1000. ::

To tell you the truth, it seems fast to me, I guess if you come from the ultra fast, coil springed - short throw locks it would seem slow... :hmm:

It does, but I would use the word "stout" instead of "stiff", the action is smooth...

It's not strong enough to throw off your aim as the hammer slams the flint into the frizzen, but it sure seems like it could...

It makes a distinct sound (click) as the flint hits the frizzen, it sounds like a bowling ball hitting a metal dumpster's lid after falling from a third story window... :winking: :D

Sounds like a bowling ball hitting a metal dumpster's lid after falling from a third story window...

No kidding, when folks talk about click-foosh-boom I just fan't relate. Mine's a definite "CLACK!". It is only interesting when trying to turn Daffy into a duck dinner. Just remeber with muskets: "follow through-follow through-follow through" :blah:

Back