• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Introduction and self aggrandizement

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoShadows

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I suppose this had best get done and over with...don't like blowing my own horn, but here it goes.

This makes over 40 years of running around in skins and period attire. I started here in Southern Kentucky running with the likes of Hershel and Frank House...I was at author Ted Franklin Belue's first rendezvous....as well as John Curry and quite a few others....David and Don Wright etc... My first House rifle was HIS first East Tennessee Bean....we fell in love with it as he was repairing an original...so I paid him $225 to copy it in 32 caliber.

I served 14 years on the Grand Council of The American Mountain Men...a couple terms on the Primitive Council at Friendship...was semi-active in the ALRA for a while. I took Mel Hankla on his first rendezvous....shared the same fires as Hawk Boughten and all the old patriarchs of "skinning".
I am getting long in the tooth now, but the Missus and still get around to several "doins"...from Alafia to Northern Michigan...although we havent been far west or east for several years. I expect that to change in the near future.

I have made all of my gear several times over. Nowadays I make only what I choose and love to trade. I've made and sold several rifles and pistols and knives,horns etc...nothing fancy...can't carve well enough, but I understand the dynamics and relations of creating a fast shooting Flinter. Currently I am finishing up the last of 36 powder measures to take to the Alafia rendezvous and hope to retreive some of the expense of the trip, as we tend to stay and visit friends for a few weeks after and maybe whack a hog or 2 with the old rag nosed guns.I've taken game from the size of a green fly up to and including Buffalo...all with Flinters of course.

I am known by the oldtimers as TwoShadows both in Buckskinning circles and lots of old burned out Harley riders. My christian name is Russell McGuire. Home is around the Mammoth Cave area of southern Kentucky. I retired from my job as a Telephone Engineer 6 years ago...and spend most of my waking hours
making gear and rendezvousing or riding one of my "hogs" along with my bride of 41 + years, Wanda Terri(Litle Bit).

I dont know all the answers here on the wire.....but rest assured I have made most of the mistakes!! I hope to share a fire with all of you here over the next several years. (Whew!, bet you thought I would never shut up!)

Hell! With a res-a-may like that I'd at least thin you would a brought along some fire wood. Ma feets are a gettin cold un we could use another pot o coffee.
Actually, we are glad to have you join our forum and hope to hear from you.

Welcome!!

Welcome to the camp. I shared camp a few times with some folks you might know, guys like Storekeeper, Lame Bear, York, Spyglass. In fact Spyglass was the one who named me in 78 at the rendevous on the Green. Got a little carried away passin' the 'shine around the fire the night of the fourth (it was Beavertails jug), the next morning he gave me my frist cup of coffee, my head still hurts thinking about it. Look forward to jawin' with you. I'll be passing down your way between the holidays, going to Early Rustic Arms to see what they got. Take care, Rick.

DeadDawg....musta been Beavertails[url] jug....nothin[/url] but smiles and giggles in the jug we brought! Yep, Spyglass and Sheri made many a camp....He killed a 42 inch copperhead in Missouri one year....I skunt it fer tha meat and had them over fer supper...got a pitcher of it sumwhar. Kilt it wif Sheri's crutch on the way in to camp. He sent me a chunk of that beef they used to preserve in brine and vinegar up his way to gnaw on whislt my broke leg mended....Ol'Hawk was there when I set my leg and splinted it. He used to tease me about it...warn't no nig thang...felt better in place than out, and it was only the little bone on the side..sure made muh foot act funny though. I resigned my office in AMM in 91-92....and kept the life membership. Lots of fine fellars there, but the pollyticks is horrible...I still make a eastern or two with the boys....always liked the ones up at Sand Lake best, and the boys of the MOTW brigade are all my Brothers. I look forward to seeing you again. Guess I will be in Florida when you come south....saw a bunch of them L.E.W. rifleguns at a trade fair a couple weeks ago....the Barn Rifle looks like a user...not fancy, but functional. I believe Mr Williams is a reputable man.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome Twoshadows,
I am new to all this muzzleloader stuff but feel pleased and comfortable here surrounded by these people. It's a warm, friendly fire most times.
It does sound like you have probably forgotten more than I will know.
Welcome again,
Allan

Jist goes ta show, thar's some good in the worst of'em. Anyways, welcome the camp Twoshadows.
grin.gif

I lost touch with all those guys in 80 when I went to the Philippines and lost my journal on the way over. Storekeeper was my sponsor. I never went past pilgrim as I could never get away from military duty long enough to accomplish the tasks and skills to advance. Most all the brigade at that time was in SW part of the state and I was in Oscoda, real difficult to hook up. Well glad to have you in the camp and hope to see you at some of the doin's this coming summer. Take care, Rick.

Back