• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Introduction

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas792

32 Cal
Reaction score
I signed up a few years ago to view posts and pictures but never introduced myself. I’ve been working off and on for the past 5 years to finish a Hawken kit I got from Cabela’s some 30 years ago. I did 20 years in the Marine Corps and the kit was in storage most of the time. An office worker built his own flintlock pistols and rifles from parts from various suppliers so I went back to working on the kit. Lots of fitting on this “fully inletted” kit. I have only installing the buttplate and shaping the wood aft of the breech to figure out. I’m building the kit to be a shooter and not a stunning recreation I’ve seen here. That being said, I want this to look correct. I have questions about shaping the aft end of the stock but don’t know where to start as it seems everything is dependent on another thing. Cheers

Howdy from North Texas and welcome to the forum. I'm born and bred on the Muddy Red.

Don't be discouraged, it's not uncommon to work on a kit for years. I have projects over 10 years old. There are plenty of good info over on the gunbuilders section.

Also few builders first build is a masterpiece. They tend to get better with more builds.

Back