• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

INVEST ARMS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheatherly

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I saw a .50 cal muzzle loader for sale this morning. It has an octogon barrel about 21 or 22 inches long with shallow but very clean rifling, twist unknown. It is marked Invest Arms, made in Italy. Adjustable sights ( similar to Thonpson Center sights), nice looking stock with a little curl in the butt area, Checkering on the wrist, A red rubber butt pad. Brass barrel wedge, and nose cap. It is a half lenght stock. The lock is case colored. Double set triggers, and a snell (?) instead of a drum. It is very clean, and cannot have been shot more than a few times. The only thing I can see wrong with it, is the brass nose cap is larger in diameter than the stock. Does any one know any thing about this rifle? The gun shop is asking 100 bucks for it.

Most likely a Cabelas Sporterized Hawken carbine. They have a 1-24" twist barrel which would be good for shooting conicals and Plastic bullets. :grin: They are well made, the same company that makes the Lyman Great Plains rifles.

Tell me where it's at and I'll go buy it so nobody else gets stuck with it. A gun like that should not be on display for the whole world to see. I'll make sure it get's disposed of properly. :grin:

Seriously, if the bore is in good shape then you have found a great deal. See if you can run a tight patch down the bore first or check the barrel with calipers for bulges. It may look good but it could have been abused or loaded and shot improperly.

HD

Well, if you leave now you can get there right when they open. If, of course, you drive non stop. I'll meet you there! Bring some sausage biscuits and orange juice!

Sounds like a good deal. I think Lyman trade rifle and GM IBS barrels will drop in if you want a different lenght/twist.

Investarms is the maker of Lyman rifles. If it is a Cabelas model it goes for around $350 new. $100 is a great price. Like others have said if you pass it up let me know where it is. I will take it.
Frank

$100 for an Investarms hawken is a great deal. As was mentioned, they make the guns for Lyman. The Investarms guns are just as high of quality. I have one and really like it. Buy it and enjoy! :)

I've seen very similar Investarms models for sale and they weren't marked Cabela's. A few were local new ones that had a single trigger, & either a wood or synthetic stock in .50 & .54 if I recall correctly. The few available on Gunbroker auction had a wood stock. These were discontinued items leftover from about 10 years ago maybe. Their prices new were very reasonable too, in the $100 - $140 price range.

My advice: make the deal as fast as possible. I have one in .54 percussion and get one in .50 flinter. They are very good and straight shooters and for that price you can't do anything wrong.
Correct spelling of the italian company is INVESTARM without S.

Greetings from Germany

Kirrmeister

:hmm: Has anyone here ever saw a rifle like this one that had a slow twist barrel? Shifty

shifty said:
:hmm: Has anyone here ever saw a rifle like this one that had a slow twist barrel? Shifty
Nope, but someone wrote somewhere on this forum that he shotened barrel on his GRP down to 24". He got better balanced and very accurate rifle with 1 to 60" twist. Use search ...

:hatsoff: Icy

For about ten bucks you can buy a bore light and slide it down the muzzle bulb-up. It will reveal what ever condition that the bore is in. If the bore looks good, buy it before someone else does and all you're left with is a memory of being too cheap!

Dave

Forty bucks! :rotf:

They almost had to pay you to take it off their hands!! :shocked2:

Now you don't have an excuse to buy what ever else the thing needs with all of the money you just saved...powder, balls, patches, rangerod, sights, and oh my God--even conicals!!

Make lots of SMOKE and have FUN!! :)

Dave

"Nobody uses them anymore." That's what they said 140 years ago when the breech-loaders came into use. Go figure.

A local gun store had one that had been on their shelf so long that the ink on the tag has almost faded off. Anyway, they usually have a chrome bore and I believe are rifled for sabots and the like.

shifty said:

Yes, sounds like my Sportized Hawkens Carbine from Cabela's. It looks just like this one I would think:

481994.jpg

It is a nice shooting gun and I would buy the one he is looking at with out any doubt. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back