• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Investarms Plains Pistol Half-Cock Not Secure

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Current parts diagram for the plains pistol shows no fly. I checked a couple of their set trigger models and all show a fly in the lock (as required for set trigger).

A photo or 2 of the OP's lock would be helpful. And was the gun bought new or from a prior owner.

Attachments

• traditions-hawken-schematic.pdf
    167.9 KB
  • investarm-plains-pistol-schematic.pdf
    82.7 KB
Hmmm, dunno. Never owned one but i put 2 kits together for my uncle as a present in 2019, they both had one.

Here's a couple pics of the lock at half cock. I wanted to do a video of what I was talking about but cant figure out this camera. When you pull the hammer back, there's 3 clicks of the hammer to full cock. the first click is half cock, the hammer holds in place. when you pull the hammer past half cock you hear a second click. this is what I was told that it's made so you can ease the hammer down on the nipple without going to full cock and pulling the trigger. If you let go thinking its full cock, the hammer drops on the nipple as if you pulled the trigger, when you pull the hammer all the way back you hear a third click and that's full cock. I know it's not the safest and there's nothing in the book that mentions this feature. I'm not disputing anyone's opinion that this shouldn't happen. I'm just telling what I was told about why this pistol does it. My pistol is new not used. I purchased it from Muzzleloaders. com

Attachments

• DSC00355.JPG
    DSC00355.JPG
    5.8 MB
  • DSC00354.JPG
    DSC00354.JPG
    5.8 MB
  • DSC00356.JPG
    DSC00356.JPG
    5.7 MB
Here's a couple pics of the lock at half cock. I wanted to do a video of what I was talking about but cant figure out this camera. When you pull the hammer back, there's 3 clicks of the hammer to full cock. the first click is half cock, the hammer holds in place. when you pull the hammer past half cock you hear a second click. this is what I was told that it's made so you can ease the hammer down on the nipple without going to full cock and pulling the trigger. If you let go thinking its full cock, the hammer drops on the nipple as if you pulled the trigger, when you pull the hammer all the way back you hear a third click and that's full cock. I know it's not the safest and there's nothing in the book that mentions this feature. I'm not disputing anyone's opinion that this shouldn't happen. I'm just telling what I was told about why this pistol does it. My pistol is new not used. I purchased it from Muzzleloaders. com
This one has a fly and that second click is the sear going past the fly. Normal operating and correct operation.

Back