• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is Grafs & Son powder harder to ignite than Goex?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My flintlock always gets ooohs and awwwhs concerning how quick it fires at the range.

My gunstore recently started selling the Grafs powder and I tried it today and it was slower than heck to ignite when using the same 3f in the pan........When I switched to Goex 4f in the pan the speed of firing came back. Tried it several times. The Grafs 3f in the pan had a fuse like affect. The Goex 4f was almost as instant as a percussion gun...........Normally so is Goex 3f in the pan.............But man the Grafs is definately accurate though...........I just put 3 shots at 50 yards under an inch all touching.......From a rest that is..............Modified Blue Ridge gun in .50 caliber...........Bob

This is the first time I have heard such a complaint about Graf's powder. The powder may have gotten wet, or damp, or it may be coated with more graphite than Goex, or it may be actually sized larger than Goex FFFg powder is. Without comparing the two different powder granules, and doing further testing, I don't know how we can know what happened.

By all means, call Grafs Monday and tell them what happened. They will want to know. Your Graf FFFg powder should light as easily as your Goex powder does. Both are black Powder, and not a substitute.

I also believe the basic formula for the two powders is identical or very close. Swiss powder is smaller in granule size than similar Goex powder.

Gosh I've had this stuff for over a year. Bought it on impulse, but when I went to my local gun store to by GOEX the Grafs is all they sell now. It definately shoots good. But the jury is still out on the harder to ignite.......I didnt have any "Flash in the pan"'s. Just a noticable delay in firing when using as prime also. Knapped the flint a few times. I'll make a few more range trips and compare with Goex I still have.........Bob

I get lower velocity with the Graf powder, 1800 fps. avg. for GOEX. Graf is 1600. Same patch and ball for both. Couldn't tell a difference in lighting. Rifle is Great plains, ball .530, patch .017

not that I can tell. seems it does have a little more residue (fouling). also not quite as 'snappy' as Goex in my C&B revolvers. I don't have a chrono so can't say about fps.

:haha: I dunno, FPS has never concerned me. I have no idea what my 90 gr load in my 34" barreled .58 is doing for FPS but I do know the most important thing to me is my load is accurate enough for me to get on target and do the job. It kills deer dead so FPS means nothing to me. :v

Might be a difference in lots; the Wano and Goex I have (in the same granulation) seem pretty equal with the Wano being maybe a little bit dirtier.

I agree with the Mazo Kid on this one. I use a case or more of Wano every year for the past 4 years. It is a fine product. You can not get a fair test using 4F Goex in the pan and using 3F Wano in the pan. You should pick up the Wano Null B pan powder or Wano 4F pan powder.
Goex is a fine product also. You won't go wrong using anyone of these products. The effectiveness of pan powder and ignition can be linked to many other conditions related to the lock and vent. :hmm:

I have never had a problem with Grafs and shoot it quite a lot. BTW, it is identical to Schuetzen black powder, made with alder (reputed to be the best) charcoal in the factory to the same specs.

Myself, I have never found any black powder equal to the old Dupont shiny black, I sure miss that stuff.

I have been using Elephant 4f for pan powder. My question is will switching to Swiss 4F or GOEX 4F make my ignition time faster?

You will have to change to some thing. That "Elephant Poop" has not been made in years. :shake:

redwing said:
You will have to change to some thing. That "Elephant Poop" has not been made in years. :shake:

Agree on that, Elephant was some dirty horrible stuff.

Have been using Grafs for a while with good results. Your correct, that Elephant was horrible stuff.

you're right Tans. DuPont (I was given a nearly full can of 3F some years back by an old-timer giveing up BP guns) is the best I've shot in my C&B revolvers of 3 brands - Goex, Grafs and DuPont. very little fouling.

Back