• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is scope use banned on this forum?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patocazador

54 Cal.
Reaction score
My old eyes aren't very good at accommodating to iron sights anymore. I use a compact 4x scope on my Hawken clone.
Are scopes allowed if photos are posted? :idunno:

I think the general rule is to only post on stuff available back then. Yes, some forms of scopes were available, but not the kind you're describing.

A Premium member can post such things up in the Non-Muzzleloading section (if they dare and have a thick skin :grin: ), but not here in the hunting section.

I agree with the suggestion to try a peep. Can make a huge difference.

A peep sight doesn't correct for all vision problems some may have. If associated with hunting, the animal deserves the cleanest kill possible, and if that requires the use of a scope, then so be it.

Wick Ellerbe said:
A peep sight doesn't correct for all vision problems some may have. If associated with hunting, the animal deserves the cleanest kill possible, and if that requires the use of a scope, then so be it.

Or get closer :thumbsup:

B.

Wick Ellerbe said:

Agree 110%...just can't post the picture in this section. Can't post one taken with a selfbow and cane arrows with a flint head either. It's not a rule against or a condemnation of a hunting method modern or ancient.

Just use it and don't post pics of the rifle. Don't ask, don't tell kind of deal.

But don't stop shooting or coming to the site.

Truth is, not a long of younger guys coming to traditional muzzleloading or this site. As the membership of this site becomes more and more "gentrified," I'm kinda looking forward to seeing how folks deal with eyes and sights. Not being critical, mind you. My eyes aren't getting any younger, and I'm always open to ways to help.

BrownBear said:
. . . I'm kinda looking forward to seeing how folks deal with eyes and sights. Not being critical, mind you. My eyes aren't getting any younger, and I'm always open to ways to help.

Ahead of you, there. I've worked up a round ball load for my 16 bore fowler. No sights really - just a small front blade that isn't used for aiming. Get that deer inside 45 yards and it's meat. 60 yards if the angels are singing.

No sights on my bows, either. ;-)

Good to know. I've been wondering about that approach because I never really see the bead on my shotguns, but don't have much trouble hitting what I shoot at. Gotta play with it, and I thank you for that.

Take a look at the Malcom scopes. They would be period correct for a Hawkin and really look cool on a rifle. They are a bit on the expensive side though.

My eyes are not getting any younger either. For the time being I have been able to get a way with using glasses and a good peep sight. However as I get older (eyes too) I may have to turn to a scope some day. I think the same will happen to you guys too.

so if your sight is so bad and you HAVE to use a scope on a traditional sidelock to make a clean kill, isn't that a bit offensive/anti to tell a member that hes not welcome to post pictures of the gun/harvest?

When Jim Bridger was blind, all he could do was reflect on his time in the mountains and wish he could see them once more... You want the hard at seeing members here to just give it up and no longer interact? :bull:

so if your sight is so bad and you HAVE to use a scope on a traditional sidelock to make a clean kill, isn't that a bit offensive/anti to tell a member that hes not welcome to post pictures of the gun/harvest?

No more "offensive" than telling folks with black powder breech loaders to post it in a different thread. You may post photos of your harvest with the scoped rifle; where is the requirement to show the firearm?

LD

I thought there were some scopes used during the Civil War??? How would that not be period correct? If nothing else it was used to "hunt" men...

I also struggled with the front sight becoming invisible as I aged. This year I finally had an eye exam and bought a prescription set of bi-focals for every day use. I asked my eye doctor for a second set of glasses that had my right lens corrected for a distance of 40" so that I could focus on the front sight of my rifles. (I am right handed and right eye dominant) The left lens I had corrected for distance. Neither lens is bi-focal. We call these my shooting glasses. I am able to see my target with my left eye and the front sight with my right. However I only wear them when I am shooting or about to shoot in the case of hunting.

Since I can not find a time machine this has been my approach to iron sight visibility.

I have also picked up a brass 4x telescope similar to the Malcom but have not mounted it on a muzzle loader--- yet.

I had my 2nd cataract removed in June and now have 20/15 vision with glasses. The right eye is clear glass and the left one has a Rx lens. I can see way off really well but anything closer than 30-40 feet is blurry. Medicare paid for the glasses.

I think your solution is a good one if it works with my vision. The surgeon said that some eyes won't "take" the correction you want .. whatever that means.

Back