• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is the mag spark ignition nipple allowed in NMLRA competition?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought a mag spark ignition nipple for one of the rifles I wanted to use in One Gun match. I ordered it out of defense of the cap shortage and not to get some kind of an edge in performance for competition. One of our best shooters mentioned that he thought it wasn’t allowed in most of the traditional matches. I was surprised, but I suspect he’s prolly right. He’s been around the block several times and shot in top matches. I’ve got other rifles that I can use but I just thought I’d throw this out to all.

I was just reviewing the NMLRA rule book yesterday. The whole thing is online and you can find it easily with a Google search. General rules for “ignition” are described in #1250, with additional comments in #1270 and #1280. Slug gun rules specifically say “rifle primers,” and I don’t know if they would allow 209’s or if it really means what it says. Rule #1250 doesn’t really mention 209 primers, either. While I was not reading the book for information on this particular topic, I did note those comments and I thought they were somewhat unclear. I do recall that some specific matches may require specific types of ignition, but each match or discipline is covered individually in the rulebook.

Respectfully, your best bet is to look up the rule book and read it. If you don’t find the answer you need your best course of action would be to call or email the NMLRA directly. If you want a definitive answer, you need to go to the source. I think there may be a couple of NMLRA officials here on this forum who might help you out, but I’ve called the NMLRA office with questions about this or that and they try very hard to help. Good folks up there.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

I was just reviewing the NMLRA rule book yesterday. The whole thing is online and you can find it easily with a Google search. General rules for “ignition” are described in #1250, with additional comments in #1270 and #1280. Slug gun rules specifically say “rifle primers,” and I don’t know if they would allow 209’s or if it really means what it says. Rule #1250 doesn’t really mention 209 primers, either. While I was not reading the book for information on this particular topic, I did note those comments and I thought they were somewhat unclear. I do recall that some specific matches may require specific types of ignition, but each match or discipline is covered individually in the rulebook.

Respectfully, your best bet is to look up the rule book and read it. If you don’t find the answer you need your best course of action would be to call or email the NMLRA directly. If you want a definitive answer, you need to go to the source. I think there may be a couple of NMLRA officials here on this forum who might help you out, but I’ve called the NMLRA office with questions about this or that and they try very hard to help. Good folks up there.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
I’ve got a range officer booklet that I was given upon passing the course. It could be covered in that. That is, if I’m smart enough to find it. I’m going down to work in the shop and I’ll see if I can skim through it and see anything that might clearly define guidelines for ignition. I’ll report back one way or the other. Keep in mind that trusting me to find the obvious could be risky.

I’ve got a range officer booklet that I was given upon passing the course. It could be covered in that. That is, if I’m smart enough to find it. I’m going down to work in the shop and I’ll see if I can skim through it and see anything that might clearly define guidelines for ignition. I’ll report back one way or the other. Keep in mind that trusting me to find the obvious could be risky.
Man, I hear you! I have trouble finding my own socks!

I’ll post a direct link to the rule book when I get back to the house. It’s in printable format.

I did skim through it again before I left this morning, and the way I interpret the rules, it doesn’t look good for your Mag-Spark. However, caps are starting to show up again, especially the RWS 1075’s. I understand you can generally count on vendors at Friendship to have caps and powder, too.

Notchy Bob

Here is a direct link to the rulebook: NMLRA Range Rules & Regulations

Clicking that link will open a 37-page PDF document that pretty well covers general and specific range and match rules. I noted that it is the 2020 edition, and I don't know how often they update it.

The input from @ronaldrothb49 was appreciated. Looks like regular old percussion caps will be the way to go.

Notchy Bob

Back