• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Issac Haines by Mr. Curtis

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdstrain49

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I visited with Tip Curtis a few times and finally decided to pull the trigger, so to speak, on one of his smooth bores. She is a 54 cal. 42" Issac Haines style from what I understand is about the mid 1700s.

Haven't really developed an accuracy load yet, just been having fun getting to know her. She is dead reliable and always goes boom, provided I do what I'm supposed to.

I was concerned about not having a rear sight. Turns out that concern was unfounded. As long as I trust my eye, she'll put them right down the middle. It's only when I overthink the shot that I have a problem.

All in all I couldn't be happier with Tip and the smoothie he recommended.

Tip did a rubbed oil finish. The iron is and shall stay in the white. Had I bought this gun new in the 1700s I'd want it to look new not rusty. :)

I prefer to build my own . . though I am just learning that with a coach . . . but were I not interested in that, or had a little more $$ . . I would definitely buy a Tip Curtis rifle. He can't be beat dollar for dollar. . . I've held many of his rifles at Friendship and they are all outstanding for the price. He makes great working guns.

There was a time when I would have preferred to put together my own, but now with very limited use of my left hand that's no longer an option. I can however still shoot em. Likely better than most. :)

Isaac Haines shows up on the Lancaster County tax roles in 1773 as a gunsmith, but surely would have finished his apprenticeship prior to 23 years of age.

22, I have shot both but shoot mostly ball. I've already put well over 100 ball through her, probably only 5 or 6 shot loads. She is plumb deadly with either.

rdstrain49 said:
22, I have shot both but shoot mostly ball. I've already put well over 100 ball through her, probably only 5 or 6 shot loads. She is plumb deadly with either.

That's encouraging! :thumbsup:

My Squirrel rifle is one Tip built..Love the M & G lock.

Tip glues on the forearm cap so you may wanna pin it. Out hunting very cold January day with 14" snow
glue popped...Yep! its still out in that woods...
somewhere..
I called him on this..... his reply.."that's the way I make them." He's a character...wish I lived near his shop....
Enjoy your smooth bore....Dan

Tip is something else at times. He's a hoot to visit at his shop here in Tn. You get him started talking and you'll be there awhile. :haha:

He's got one of the best 50 yard smooth bore targets posted in his shop I've ever seen... Shot by Tip. :hatsoff:

Tip builds these 4 at a time with a duplicator..
he has gun barrel inventory larger than most...

..uses lots of Green mountain barrels.

He is self made and independent.
He does not sugar coat the truth....
Always fun to chat with....

I've enjoyed several visits with Mr Tip. Always informative and always a character. I intend to make more room in the gun safe for more of Tip's guns.

Back