• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

It figures!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Egler

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I haven't been deer hunting in awhile. So I thought I'd go this morning. Well, I didn't have any luck, so about 10:30 I switched the load from prb to #6 shot to hunt squirrels (54 cal smoothbore). I was walking to my squirrel hunting spot, when I go around a bend in the trail and there's a big doe on the side of the trail, 25 feet, standing. Perfect shot. The gun was halfway to my shoulder when I remembered I had changed from prb to shot. Apparently she read my mind, because she just sorta bounced casually away, no big hurry. ARRRGHH! :cursing:

I WANT to go squirrel and deer hunting first thing in the morning, and take a seat in a hardwood flat near a regrowth clearcut area I haven't hunted since mid November.

If I can make myself get out from under the electric blanket at 5:00am @ 20degrees I'll be taking two Flintlocks:
.54cal & #5 shot
.62cal & PRB

This place is just a short 200 yard walk from the truck on an open logger's road so carrying two rifles should be fine.

But...I first have to get out from under that electric blanket at 5:00am !!!!!

:hmm:

When I was a kid long ago in the Southwest, my two principal buds were Apache. As a result, I got dragged along on family hunts with their dad and granddad. Still remember the old man counseling us kids not to think about the deer. "They can read our thoughts and stay away if they know we're looking for them." I always kinda wondered about that, but your story is another notch in the stock of life.

Squirrel Tail said:
I haven't been deer hunting in awhile. So I thought I'd go this morning. Well, I didn't have any luck, so about 10:30 I switched the load from prb to #6 shot to hunt squirrels (54 cal smoothbore). I was walking to my squirrel hunting spot, when I go around a bend in the trail and there's a big doe on the side of the trail, 25 feet, standing. Perfect shot. The gun was halfway to my shoulder when I remembered I had changed from prb to shot. Apparently she read my mind, because she just sorta bounced casually away, no big hurry. ARRRGHH! :cursing:

This sort of thing doesn't happen to people who hunt squirrels with 54 PRB. :wink:

good luck on that doe. Now that she thinks you a squirrel hunter only it should be easy.

Few years ago I kept deer hunting my favorite treestand along the hardwood river bottom and flocks of gobblers showed up every morning. So one morning I left the Kodiak .58 in camp and loaded up the 10 ga. with #5s. About 7:30 am I noticed a "crown" of antler tines hovering along to my left about 30 yards thru the trees. The buck it was attached to crossed in front of me about 60 yards, stopped broadside for 10 - 15 seconds and walked off. CAME BACK a few minutes later (think it went down to the river for a drink) and stood broadside looking in the other direction, then walked away. Weren't nothing I could do :shake: ........

Here in Arkansas you can hunt deer and squirrels with a 40cal. Therefore my rifles are 40cals. A little lite for deer, a little heavy for squirrels, but at least I'm legal.

I have a similar dilemma during our Sept deer and elk ml season. since the bow season is open at the same time, I sometimes hold a deer tag for bow and the elk tag for ml. Like to hunt low in thick cover in the morning for deer with bow and for elk up higher in the later part of the day.

I probably don't have to tell you what sometimes happens. :haha:

Squirrel Tail, I like that handle. :thumbsup: I always see a dozen sqirrels when hunting deer. So when I hunt squirrels it's good practice to act like your hunting deer. Hunting squirrel is still my favorite. :confused: :confused: Good luck hunten. Teton Ted

Thats tough! I saw a nice buck during squirrel season.Do you think I've seen him since.NOOOOOOO!!!!! :rotf: I feel your pain!

Teton Ted said:
Squirrel Tail, I like that handle. :thumbsup: I always see a dozen sqirrels when hunting deer. So when I hunt squirrels it's good practice to act like your hunting deer. Hunting squirrel is still my favorite. :confused: :confused: Good luck hunten. Teton Ted

Thanks! Yeah, squirrels are my favorite things to hunt too. :thumbsup:

Back