• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Italian Date Codes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billnpatti

Cannon
Reaction score
Recently someone posted a site tahta gave the codes of manufacture of Italian made guns. I have searched for this site but can't find it. Does anyone know where I could find the codes? I have a Piettas revolver that is marked with the letters PN stamped along with the various proof marks. When was this gun made?

The PN stamp means "poudre noir" or black powder proof.

Here's the date code table you were looking for. My shotgun with a date stamp has it in a box, but the PN stamp isn't.

italianyearcodes.jpg

Spence

Thanks, Spence. :hatsoff: That is exactly the table that I was looking for. My revolver seems to have no date marks on it anywhere. It has the two proof marks and the letters PN but nothing else other than the serial number. :idunno: I know it of recent manufacture since Pietta began making this particular model only in recent years. :hmm: Thanks for the help. I'm going to print out this table and keep it handy for future reference.

Thanks, Claude. That was the original article that I read. Thanks for finding it for me.

I have a older or what looks to be older blacke powder revolver that i have purchased. I cant seem to find the exact one any where. It has on with a star above it and a shield with a star above it. DGG with backwards C with looks to be 58 after it under the barrel. Above trigger has has shield pn and AE. Also has pn with shield on cylinder. Says made in italy on barrel. I am stomped any information would be great.

I see you are new to the Forum and I would want to welcome you to the Forum. You did some searching to find and resurrect this 6 year old thread.

In the Forum's useful Member Resources section there is a thread on dating one's Italian gun by proof marks.
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/modern-replica-dating-by-proof-marks.49482/

The AE is the proof mark and that is decoded as 1979.

Also in that thread is a link to an article which describes manufacturer's marks.
The DGG is the mark of Armi San Paoli, now Euroarms.

A picture of your revolver uploaded from your files would provide the other clues as to what specific model you have.

Last edited:
PN in French does indeed mean Poudre Noire, but as most BP handguns we see these days are made in Italy then it stands for Polvere Nero - Italian for black powder.

Latest posts

Back