• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

It's Red And Gray

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My better 2/3's is unhappy about our fox situation. Any you fellas worked on getting fox into flinter range?

We nursed an injured baby raccoon back to health. We put out a catch-em-live trap to relocate him Sunday evening, baited with a steak bone. The fox trotted up within an hour, sniffed the steak bone, cleaned up the cat food and trotted away. Well, now the raccoon is relocated to a 'coon friendly lake and the fox has to go before it gets our critters.

If you or someone you know has any foothold traps you could try that. Might be your best bet. I don't know if foxes are likely to come to predator calls like coyotes, but it could be worth a shot.

Loxahatchee said:
I don't know if foxes are likely to come to predator calls like coyotes, but it could be worth a shot.

Don't know if this fox will come to a predator call, but in general fox will. I have many times squeaked at passing fox while I've been on deer stand and had them instantly change course and come in. Some will just stop and stare a long time, then go on about their business, but same with coyotes.

Had a fox near my home years ago that would come to me barking like a fox! He was one of those "wild pets" that hung around and I'd leave tidbits out for him. When I'd put out the tidbits I'd give a few fox-like barks and in a few minutes he'd come in for his treat. Since I was leaving treats I probably could have said "here kitty=kitty" and he would have come! :grin:

I've generally found that fox are very wary of live catch cage traps, not easy to catch that way. A well-placed dirt hole set with a foothold trap would be best. Usually, but not always, using a 'soft catch' trap with padded jaws causes no permanent damage to the fox. Cat food or sardines work well as bait, and of course there are the various commercial fox baits you can buy.

Keep in mind that in many states you need a wildlife depredation permit from the Wildlife Officer to trap problem wildlife out of season. Usually free, but required.

IMO hang a tuft of fur or feathers about 3 feet up on fishing line an get on the squealing rabbit call. *** make sure all is legal 1st****

Me I would lose a chicken or two wait till mid October & get a prime pelt out of the deal

Fox come in quite well to hurt rabbit calls. The thing is they usually come in slower than a coyote, if there are coyotes around. The reason is if it is a rabbit another predator has caught the fox, being smaller, does not want to end up the next meal.
With this in mind you just have to wait longer, 30-45 minutes and sit very still. If you can legally hunt them at night, that is the way to go. If not just as the sun comes up. If he has not made a kill during the night he will be more eager.

Foxes will come into a predator call. I was walking the dog and saw one and hand squeeked it into about 20 yards before the dog saw it and barked. It didn't want to tangle with the black lab and left. Try a wounded rabbit call and mouse squeeker.

Back