• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ITX/Nice Shot Updates?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrownBear

In Rmembrance
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
After the first of the year I'm finally getting back into ML waterfowl hunting after a nearly 20-year break.

Anyone have recent experience on hunts? I'm interested in ITX/Nice Shot loads and shot size for 12 gauge.

I'm also interested in reports on bismuth, ranging from sources to hunting results- 12 gauge shot size and loads as well. I've murdered a mountain of ducks and quite a few pheasants with it in cartridge guns, but loose shot wasn't available when I parted with my 12 SxS once they outlawed steel up here.

Thanks for any firsthand hunting reports!

I shoot ITX exclusively for waterfowl and upland in my Cabelas (Pedersoli) 12 SxS. I am shooting 85grains 2F Goex, and 1 1/4oz of ITX. using 2, 1/8" lubed wool/felt over the powder and one over the shot.

Excellent Richard! That's essentially the load I was using in the days of lead. Are you shooting #4 or #6 shot? And what are you using for lube?

Thanks!

That's good to know. It confirms my impression from the days of lead, but your actual hunting experience with ITX is invaluable.

I never shoot much over 30 yards and used lead #5 for both ducks or rabbits, but always found #6 a little too small for either. ITX isn't available in #5 that I can find, and we can still use lead for small game. I'll be using lead in #5 for rabbits and #7 1/2 for ptarmigan. With duck season running October-January, ptarmigan August-April and no closed season on snowshoes, there's going to be a lot of shot flying- just like the good old days!

BrownBear said:
Me? Typo? Stumble on my tongue? Nah. :rotf:

"...when they outlawed LEAD SHOT up here."

Thanks! :wink:

the way they make and pass laws these days I never even questioned it ...they musta found rusty shot in a condors gut!

With the ITX load listed, only diff is last year I was using 70 grains T7, sometimes 60, but with Goex and 85 grains using this year the pattern is much tighter to 40 yards with both #4 and #6 ITX. I have to date shot pheasant, chukar, quail, and teal with the #6 ITX, with the #4 ITX, ducks, 1 Swan,and Canada Geese.

Richard M said:
I have to date shot pheasant, chukar, quail, and teal with the #6 ITX, with the #4 ITX, ducks, 1 Swan,and Canada Geese.

That's priceless to me, and I really appreciate it. About 90% of my shooting is mallards, with gadwall, widgeon and a few teal thrown in. In lead the #6 were slightly small for my tastes, and from your experience I infer the same for ITX.

Periodically I get a hankering for a sea duck hunt, and for those I'll gladly use #4. In cartridge guns I used #2 lead because surf skoters are so goshdarned tough. I'll just keep my shots close, and all should be well.

You've made my day! Thanks again.

i shoot pheasants and ducks with 1 1/4 oz bismuth #4s. they drop dead and it doesn't seem to pull many feathers into the meat.

Good to know! I use a lot of bismuth in older cartridge doubles with similar results, but a little pulling. Extra velocity maybe? :idunno:

Where do you get your bismuth?

i get mine from precision reloading. it's about 150$ for 6.5lbs or so. it patterns great for wing shooting, very even dispersal in the pattern. i tried nice shot and didn't think it patterned as well for birds. the nice shot tended to have a denser center in the pattern.

as for velocity, out of a 20ga 42" bore, the 1 1/4oz load over 80grn 2F swiss chonographed at just under 1100 fps. one of the best attributes from my experience with bismuth is that i directly substiute it for my lead loads with little if any change in pattern.

That's great, and thanks! I'm more of a smooth pattern kind of hunter, rather than dense core. If that extends to cartridges, it may explain why I like them so well.

Thanks for the feedback! I've got two cases of bismuth loads, and I just might break some down rather than waiting for shipping.

medic302 said:
i get mine from precision reloading. it's about 150$ for 6.5lbs or so.

Is that right?

That's kinda pricey . . . $1.80 per 1.25oz shot! Plus powder and primer and wads . . . that's over $2 per trigger pull, not counting your time to reload.

In my mind that's in the realm of what guys are paying for premium shotshells these days. It's painful, but I doubt I'll manage more than 100 shots a year unless I get back into sea ducks. I think the most shots I ever fired at ducks with a muzzleloader back when was 13, and 3-5 was more typical. I set the decoys at 15-20 yards and pick my shots. In truth, with the wide patterns of a muzzleloader it's more like duck slaughter than duck shooting! :rotf:

123.DieselBenz said:
medic302 said:
i get mine from precision reloading. it's about 150$ for 6.5lbs or so.

Is that right?

That's kinda pricey . . . $1.80 per 1.25oz shot! Plus powder and primer and wads . . . that's over $2 per trigger pull, not counting your time to reload.

yep, that's the right price. it's not as painful as you think, you don't get that many shots off with a muzzleloader during a hunt.

Back