• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

James Bown & Son .32 Cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welldigger45

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Held one of these guns in my hand yesterday. I would say it is a half stock on top of barrel has picture of a deer head with antlers and the words "Kill Buck" Enterprise gun works and James Bown & Son. Can anybody put any type of value on this weapon. It has been refurbished and looks beutiful. Thanks

I can't give you a dollar value, but I have a little information about where it came from. "Enterprise Gun Works" was established in 1848 by James Bown and John Tetley. They sold many rifles to westward bound immigrants and is known for being the earliest known manufacturer who advertised their products as "Kentucky Rifles". By 1862, the firm was owned soley by James Bown and in the 1874-75 Pittsburgh Directory it was listed as "James Bown & Son" and by 1883 the name had changed to "James Bown & Sons". Later that year it was bought by Brown & Hirth.In 1889, W.S. Brown became the sole owner.

By having both the Enterprise stamp and the James Bown & Son stamp on it, there is a good chance that the rifle was made prior to 1874 (possibly as early as 1848 but likely in the 1860's) and was old stock that was re-stamped when Bown and son started.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have the a James Bown & Sons gun also. It is the family gun that to our knowledge has been in the family since new. We got it from my Grandpa, who was born in 1894 and he got it from his Dad. As far as value, I wouldn't have a clue. They were not expensive guns when new, just a hardware store type of gun that is not unusual to be seen as many of the people coming through Pittsburgh, gathered supplies for their new life in the States. Ours is closer to 34cal. with a brass patch box. It has a Golcher lock on it as many guns did from this time period.

Back