• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jeager

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nate120

32 Cal
Reaction score
Screenshot_20240527-152054_Messenger.jpg
Screenshot_20240527-152051_Messenger.jpg
Screenshot_20240527-152046_Messenger.jpg

Nate , you have a nice Jager rifle. I've been fortunate to build , use , and experiment with a number of Jager rifles of different calibers over the last half century. Started shooting longrifles in competition 1975 , but still had a lot of Jager research to do. My favorite Jager rifle of all was a .62 cal.. It was a deer masher par excelence in the Pa. late flint deer season. It killed many. As my eyesight changed , due to age , I went back to a 38" barrel longrifle , again in .62 , for deer. About five yrs. ago , again , old age eyesight dictated use of a home brew tang peep sight , and the " too heavy for me" recoil of my favorite .62 cal. , using a sweet spot load 90 gr. ffg , caused me to go back to my old stand by .50 cal. , 38" brl. longrifle with a low recoil sweet spot load of 80 gr. FFFg. The resulting longrifle in .50 w/ .490 prb. , weighs about 6.5 lbs. , and the stock style is a copy of a 1770 , Valentine Fondersmith original Jager design , using a Jager butt stock with a long rifle barrel length of 38". Again , this Jager butt longrifle , had to have a tang peep sight , so I could use it. I can't get passed my 50 + yr. love affare of the Jager rifle , and at least , the present .50 cal. early Lancaster longrifle shows the heritage shape of the Vondersmith Jagerish butt stock. While my eyesight was still acceptable for 75 yd. deer woods shots , I experimented with .69 , .62 , .58 , standard short barrel Jager rifles , so I could learn fact and fiction about those famous rifles. It was fun that few people could enjoy. Please feel free to ask specific questions , and I'll do my best to give you what I learned. ........oldwood

Back