• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jim Chambers Lock Info

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
It seems generally discussed here that the Jim Chambers "Deluxe Siler" lock is thought to be a top of the line first rate flint lock assembly.

You may already know this but for those who don't, per an Email from Jim Chambers this weekend, his Golden Age lock is the same thing as the Deluxe Siler, just has a different sideplate...internals are identical.

I know you are posting for others reading, but that is why I posted earlier about the Golden Age I have in comparison to the Deluxe Siler.

Didn't even see it Dave...I was noticing the recent posts about flint life in my thread about my 'Target List' and it reminded me of Chamber's comments yesterday, thought I'd share it in a separate thread as opposed to being buried in an older long thread

Say there RB, if I were going to build myself a rifle the Siler wouldn't be my first choice. I much prefer Chambers Virginia or early Ketland.
Just thought I'd throw that out there.... :wink:

Interesting...seems there have been a few posts claiming the "deluxe siler" was the best thing since sliced bread.

Mike, you know the names of them all...take a minute and set up a poll of a half dozen so people can vote on which one they think is best, etc.

"Definition of best" = cost aside, which has the best overall combination of sparks, flint life, and trouble free operation...or put another way, if you could only pick one lock which one would it be.

OK, lacking an actual poll, of the 19 replies to another thread I started asking opinions about the best lock, analysis of replies is as follows:

Chambers Siler = 13 (older, well established)

Chambers Deluxe Siler = 4 (newer in the market)

Chambers Golden Age = 1 (same internals as deluxe)

Bob Roller = 1

I haven't used this lock on anything for myself yet, everythings been a different style lock so far. But I did build a lefty Haines for a friend using the Chambers large Siler and it has proved to be a champ, works every time.

You might take a look at some of the top pro builders web sites and see what locks they are using.
I myself have never cared for Silers. Too small for anything early and they use such a little flint....

Roundball, Just my $.02 and thats about what it is worth but in your original post you asked about what lock would be best for an Isaac Haines
style rifle.

I think the reason that you got so many responses
in favor of the Chambers Siler is that it very well could be the best Lock for a Haines rifle with its Germanic styling.I can't offer an opinion on the Chambers Siler but I have a Chambers Colonial Virginia Lock on my "Early Virginia" styled rifle and IMHO it is an outstanding Lock.

I think if you took a poll of opinions for the best English style Round Face Lock, the Chambers Virginia would get a lot of votes.

Don't forget the Davis locks. I've used Chambers locks on most of my guns, but have tried a couple of the Davis locks [because of style ] and I have got to say that they were pretty darn fine. Great sparks, with a very positive action.
I will be using more of them in the future.

I have an early Ketland by Chambers that I used to replace a Siler type lock by Dixie Gun Works on a late Lancaster that was built in about 1978.

The early Ketland looks outof place on this rifle, but it never fails to spark. I think it would look good on an earlier style rifle.

I used the Ketland because it was the only lock I could find that was as long as the Dixie,but aside from the looks on this rifle I sure do like the way it puts out a lot of sparks.

Signcutter

Llewlnman said:
Roundball, Just my $.02 and thats about what it is worth but in your original post you asked about what lock would be best for an Isaac Haines
style rifle.

I think the reason that you got so many responses
in favor of the Chambers Siler is that it very well could be the best Lock for a Haines rifle with its Germanic styling.I can't offer an opinion on the Chambers Siler but I have a Chambers Colonial Virginia Lock on my "Early Virginia" styled rifle and IMHO it is an outstanding Lock.

I think if you took a poll of opinions for the best English style Round Face Lock, the Chambers Virginia would get a lot of votes.
I don't have ANY personal knowledge about the quality of these sorts of locks...I don't even know all their names...that's why I suggested that someone put up a poll.

If you know the names of a lot of the locks available today, why don't you take a minute and post a poll...best overall quality lock based upon: Amount of sparks, long flint life, trouble free.

IMO, putting up a poll will just tell folks how many people own a Siler or Golden Age or Virginia etc lock.
In other words, folks who own a regular (non Chambers made) Siler will be inclined to vote for a plain Siler. Folks who own a Golden Age will vote for one of those etc.
There are fewer folks who own many different styles (names) of locks who could actually give a good judgment of one lock against another.

Those who have built many guns for other people will be able to give the best opinion.
Not only have they examined the various locks but they have heard back from their customers if a lock turns out to be poor.

As your figuring out, many of these locks share common internals and the main reason the different locks exist is to satisfy the builders who wish to duplicate a gun from a specific region or time period. That basically means the shape and size of the lockplate and pan is different.
To many people this is very important. Perhaps more important than how the lock actually works.

Roundball,
I have used a few Silers put together by Davis. I described them back then as the lock that lights the pan everytime. (You know, almost)
Then I used a few Chambers locks and came to the same conclusion.
I arrived at the place where flint shooting with these locks was so reliable that I needed a new challenge so I started fooling with wheellocks and matchlocks. I now know that if you want a reliable hunting muzzleloader, go with one of the custom/semicustom locks on the market.
volatpluvia

For whatever it may be worth, I built a Jim Chambers Issac Haines about 10 yrs ago. It comes with the Germanic Golden Age lock and I can say that all the while I have had it the lock has remained absolutely fault free. The ignition has alwayds been spot on and the look on this style rifle is certainly stylish while also correct to the Revolutionary war period.
It is very easy on flints (I only use black english flint nodes for my flints) in fact I don't remember replacing the flint at all though it has been touched up a bit. Granted I don't use this rifle as often as another. Because I plan to have this rifle go down my heritage I pamper it, Leaving it over the mantle when conditions are iffy.
But back to the point, The lock I have meets or exceeds all that I can ask of it.
DOC

Zonie, well not always is that true. You can't always look to the builder of guns to determine why he chooses a certain lock. The builder of my first custom, liked a particular lock, or at least that is what I assume. He may of chose it for me because of the style, maybe because of the price,easier for him to engrave or the company may have made a good lock and now they have changed their quality. Not always, but a builder may chose style over function. They may chose that so that the customer feels he is getting a more accurate representation, of what was asked to be built. All I know, is this builder didn't have to live with the lock that was in the gun. I did. As a matter of fact, I have even chose 2 pair of locks that is not the best functioning lock, but my favorite lock maker doesn't make matching left and right locks that would be fairly accurate for SxS flinters. In some of the cases with the SxS's, if I had to do it over,I would have chose my favorite lock maker. Many things I can change to some degree, like the shape and size of the lock plate or even the pan, to make it more accurate for the style of gun. If I would have chosen my favorite lock, I would have had much less frustration and the added expense sending the lock to a lock person who could make it more reliable. After many attempts, calls and shipping expenses, the maker of these locks would or could not make them function properly. I was told by them, that you really can't expect more than maybe 10-12 shots out of a flint before it needs knapped or changed. Can you imagine that problem when you are a frontiersman fighting for your life? Now your experiences may vary, as all my locks were new after 2000. So production quality may have been different before that or after 2005. I do have 8 flintlocks, so I do have some experience.

OK, I have what I need from my thread, thanks to all those who made positive contributions.

Back