• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jinx and I went hunting.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After reading some of the squirrel hunting posts, and a comment by Brown Bear, about the more time you spend out with your rifle, the better friend it will become.
I took out my GPR .54, named Jinx, because of after a least 4 deer seasons has yet to make meat.
No its not the fault of the rifle, but something always seems to happen at the wrong time.
Anyway the plan was to hunt/scout a conservation area is primarily river and ridge.
I started by following a trace along the river, then would take to the ridges at the border of the area and work back, the area is 238 acres.
Once I topped out on the first ridge I was surprized to find they had logged the ridges since a year or more than I had been here.
So now I had it easy and just walked the trails on top, watching and listening.
My first shot came from a gray who didn't like me there, about 25 yrds, I set the trigger, cocked, lined up on his head. A hangfire and a miss, the place went crazy, squirrel off thru the tops , two others scolding the disruption, then quiet. Moved on down the trail, a little later I caught another gray running up a tree, followed his progress to the tops, about straight over head, lined up--missed. While relaoding its runs down to tree trunk to where I might have hit it with a rock, then it was gone.
Finally I headed down the last trail to leave, about 100 yrds from the trail head a red stops on a branch 15 paces, set, cock,aim and the cap DOES NOT FIRE. Recap, squirrel gone.
All in all agreat afternoon, and to unload I aim a 4" round cut log at 25 paces, gun fires and I didn't miss.
Jinx and I will be doing this again, Bernie

Congratulations on having the exact same morning that I had today. All my shots went wild just like yours. In my case, my frizzen wasn't opening up all the way causing slow ignition. Well, at least you got out for the day. Any day in the woods is a good day. Are you going back out tomorrow morning? I know I'll be there!

Back