• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jukar ...45 loading info

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjco07

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello anyone know what type of powder,patch size,and ball size,a jukar .45 caliber rifle would use? Thanks any info would much appreciated.

If you can't find any 3Fg real black powder you can substitute with Pyrodex P or Seven7seven.

The Pyrodex is a direct grain to grain substitution but if you use the triple 7 powder you should reduce the amount about 15 percent.
If you want to load a 45 grain (by volume) equivalent you would set your powder measure to about 39 grains by volume.

Under no circumstances should you actually weigh the synthetic powders on a scale unless you have a weight conversion table.
They all weigh considerably less than real black powder does.

If you don't have a black powder measure you can sometimes find them at a gun store or you can order one from Track of the Wolf or Dixie Gunworks.

Recently I worked up loads for two Jukar .45s for a friend and one for 4H. One, a very old CVA Kentucky, liked 45 grains of 3F, .440 ball and .015 patch the best. The other, a plains style import from the early '80s, ended up liking 40 grains 3F with the same patch and ball as the Kentucky. Both will keep all balls in less than an inch at 25 yards.

That is what these rifles liked. Yours may be different but a good place to start is 40 grains 3F or Pyrodex P, a .440 ball and .015 ticking patch. Try different patching and ball sizes to see what it will shoot the best.

mine likes 60 grains of goex FFFG a cast .440 round ball and a .015 patch. took 3 state championships with this old gun :thumbsup: it shoots touching groups off the bench at 50 yards.
with triple 7 (same load) it opend up a little so I droped her back to 50 and got the groups I needed.

Jukar barrels were used on CVA's . My oldest boy's gun was a frontier 50 caliber kit that I put a 45 Jukar barrel on. We use 40 grain FFF goex (or Kik) and a .445 ball with a ten thousands patch. My nephew's son was with me at the Old North west this last week and had two friends with him. One of them took second (95 out of a possible 100 ) with the gun the first time he ever fired a percusion. ( he shoots a lot of modern ). For hunting we use 60 grain with the same patch and ball, but with a leather over powder wad.

I have a old Jukar 45 cal rifle.It shoots a 440 ball .015 patch.25-50 yards I use 50 grains of FFF 75-100 yards 70 grains of FFF.Can hit bowl pin from the bench out to 100 yards.Love this old rifle.

These old rifles are shooters. Mine likes 60 grains of pyrodex P. 440 RB .015 patch with wonderlube.

Back