• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jukar Kentucky pistol, any value?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wpjson

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Stopped by my local pawn shop and they had this old Junkar Kentucky pistol. Just the name, serial number and "Spain" on the barrel. No black powder only warning. The barrel is 9 inches long. Nice gun, with some wear and tear. Screw heads are damaged a bit, but the screws are still good. Shoots good. They wanted $100.00 for it. I offered $50.00 and wound up buying it. I should never offer if I really don't mean it. Anyone out there with an opinion as to value. :confused:

Oh, yeah, one more thing. I know the value is $50.00 because that is what it just sold for. But what would someone with more knowledge pay?

It's actually "Jukar" but others have referred to them as Junkars. Not a great gun but shootable and lots of em still out there. Most are .45 cal. I still have a pistol and one of the rifles. The pistol's trigger is designed wrong at breaks at about 20 lbs. :surrender: Shoot it and have fun. GW

I knew that. Just didn't read it when I posted and I don't think I can edit it.

$50 is probably about right. Jukar is considered by most to be a low-end import with below-average QC. Make sure it is not loaded, clean it up, and have some fun!

You can't even buy a little steak at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse for $50 so I think your Jukar is a good deal.

It probably won't win any shooting contests but it will be a fun gun to plink with. :)

Oh. I could change the spelling of Jukar in your post but then everybody elses comments wouldn't make sense so I think your stuck with it.

I did change the title though. :grin:

Just Make sure you clean it really good . With the patent breach needs attending to when cleaning. Enjoy your new toy

With a lot of tweaking they can be fair pistols. The poor lock quality and trigger pull are the limitations.

Guess I'll go along with the others on price, $50 is a very good deal. My Jukar Kentucky pistols are very accurate. Are there better guns out there? Sure but your $50 gun will be very satisfying to shoot. Enjoy

Don

I think you did good if it's in good shape like you said. The early CVAs and Traditions were Jukars until they started putting their names on them. They were good guns except they did have some problems with the very early ones. I have several and they are shooters. Not the best but still they are sound weapons. I bought one for $15 years ago at a gunshow. Someone fired it in the white and didn't clean it. I cleaned it up and it looks real good now. You could easily get $50 for the lock alone on ebay so you didn't do bad.

A couple of summers ago, a shooter at my range had this "old" .45 cal. pistol. He'd load it, fire, then repeat. No misfires, hangfires or problems.

He said it was given to him by his older brother in the late 70's when he (the bro) joined the army. He thought it was an ancient family heirloom, and was likely priceless. It was stamped Jukar, and I told him to look it up on the internet, but don't take some of the comments too seriously, since it shoots flawlessly, and seemed to be pretty accurate.

He was happy with it, so "Low End" wouldn't have mattered. Ignition was quick and positive, and he was putting every shot into the target with great satisfaction. It may not have been an ancient family heirloom, but I bet it will be some day.

I bought my dad one of those, as a kit, for $19.99 in 1975. Christmas present. I've got it back now as he has passed on. I'd buy one used for $50, except I'm running out of room in my safe. I've seen flint versions, I would buy one of those.

I look at them as sort of an ugly duckling looking for a make over. The later models had rather decent barrels, but they are ripe for all sorts of creative modifications without spending a lot of $. Cut the stock back, install an underrib and thimble, turn the barrel round, install a barrel wedge or pin through a tennon to replace the stupid nose cap screws. Install a grip cap of horn, pewter or antler. Or a piece of brass and a lanyard ring. Inlays on the stock, etc. Ream the barrel smooth. You can even buy a lock with a fly and install a single set trigger. Refinish the stock, slim it down where the originals were thinned down. Dye the stock floursecent orange if you want. I see lots of "self made custom" guns in which the proud builder took $500 in premium parts and made a $300 gun. Here is the chance to see what you can do and the start up cost is only $50 to $100.

In my opinion, that is the true value of the Jukar pistols.

Rifleman1776 said:
$50.00 is top dollar for that paperweight. The Jukar/Junkers had many problems. I wouldn't shoot it.
I had a few come through my hands the past couple years and I think for the price they are pretty neat.
The barrels seem to be better than the rest of the gun. Every one I have had I sold, but before they were sold I did do some shooting with them. Not a contest winner in the lot by any means. But they shoot close enough.

I currently have one and as long as it fires and works as expected I'm happy with it. It's a flintlock in .45. It's a plain looking pistol but it serves my needs and it appears to be well made.

I've got no complaints. It's value to me is worth its cost.

Back