• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just a couple hunting stories. 1st- .50 conical

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildBillJr

32 Cal.
Reaction score
2003. First week of November. My son was due to be born anytime. Might be the one and only hunt of the season. My wife at the time said it's now or never! The weather forecast wasn't good, and conditions outside were worse. My buddies thought I was crazy! I got my stuff ready the night before and loaded up the truck about 4:15am. Pouring rain. I made it to my hunting area about 4:45, and got to my spot @ 5:20. I settled in. It was raining hard! I had my poncho on and did everything I could to protect my rifle (a traditions) and powder. I was there for a doe. I heard and saw squirrels and Turkey, but no deer. I was getting discouraged...cold wet. About 9:20 I was gonna give up...I heard the does coming my way. First slow. The rain was down to a sprinkle. All of a sudden three does darted past about 70 yrds away. Then i realized why. An 8pt buck was chasing them! To make a long story shorter... I let out my best grunt! He stopped dead in his tracks @ 75yrs away. Right behind a hardwood that split into two trunks about 1.5 feet off from the ground. I couldn't believe it! I could see hi snout, and rump. I knew the 6"-8" gap between the split was his vitals! I had deer fever, I'll admit. But I knew my .50, with the 385 gr gp conical was right on at that range with the 90grns of 2f stuffed in it. I let het rip. Couldn't see anything at first. Smoke cleared, and nothing! I reloaded. But sat quiet for only a minute and heard his last grunt! He was down right there! I waited 30- 40 minutes. And went and got my deer. My boy was born a couple days later. Awesome memory! Sorry if I bored you guys to death! Lol

Thanks jrmflintlock! I'm sorry I'm not a good story teller, but I thought some might enjoy it. As far as picures go... Photobucket seems to have lost the only ones I had of the deer. But!... I did get a tattoo on my forearm of a drawing of the rack with my sons name under it! I ended up with two bucks that week. Lol Thank you for enjoying my experience.

The second buck was my son being born. Meaning he was my special buck. I'm sorry I didn't word it correctly. Happy Easter treestalker. My other story was going to be about the deer I got with my .54...in another special way. My first prb deer!

Back