• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just finished my first Hawken .54!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjblurton

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Just thought I would take a minute to show off the reason I joined this forum! Just finished her up over the summer.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Oh yes how did you finish that shock!?!?!?!

I used a plan cherry stain on my gun but, it didn't get dark enough waaaaaaa :( oh well I'm happy with it, but still you gun looks NICE!! :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

I used a medium rasp to get the rough shape I wanted. Then started working it down through progressively finer grit sandpaper. 150/220/400/600.

At 400 grit, I started "whiskering" until no more grain could be felt and then finished it up with 600...

The finish is nothing more than tung oil, about 5 coats applied by hand and LIGHT sanding w/000 steel wool in between coats, until the wood stopped absorbing the oil. No stain applied at all. I polished it with a bees wax based stock wax.

Thanks to all for you kind remarks! :hatsoff:

That's a beautiful rifle you have there pjblurton! That's definitely a job a man should be proud of. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back