• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

just got a Crockett .32 cal...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mornard

32 Cal.
Reaction score
and my understanding is a soft pure lead 00 buck is the right size for the ball, but what thickness for the patch? - sorry in advance for my dumbness, but I'm new to blackpowder...thanks for any assistance.

Well, I just got a .32 rifle, and I find that a ball
with a diameter of .315 and a .010 patch works quite
well. With a .310 ball I find that a .015 patch works well. But a question, which lube.

I use .310 ball, .015 patch, spit or bore butter, and 20 grains of 3f Goex.

It all depends on who made the 00 buck, as they all seem to have a dif. size for it.
Easiest & very reasonable to buy a couple boxes of Hornady .310 balls, .015 Oxjoke or Pillow ticking, Lehigh Lube (put it in a 2 oz pump/spray bottle & 1 spray at 3" away on the .32 cal. patch) & .20 grains of Swiss 3F or 30 grains of 3F Goex & you are good to go. With the Swiss you can shoot all day & not have to swab.

Very accurate lil rifle & a good buy for the money. Great for a kid to learn with.

:thumbsup:

sorry in advance for my dumbness, but I'm new to blackpowder
we all start somewhere, just wish this forum had been around when i was making my mistakes. don't be afraid to ask anything. do a search on the forum for crockett .32 and you will be surprised at the number of threads. i love my pea-shooter.

My two are perfectly happy with either the Hornady 310 or my own 311 cast from a Lee mold, either with commercial .015 prelubed (wonderlube) patches and 20 grains FFF. I may get around to doing my own lube and patches after those run out, but I fell into 1500 of them for free, so that may be a while. Or come to think of it, at the rate I'm shooting those fun little rifles I may do so sooner rather than later.

Be sure to get an extended jag for cleaning. There's a bit of a problem in the diameter of the bore versus the diameter of the breech, and it will grab the patch on a conventional jag. Lots of threads about it in the past here on MLF.

Liberty,
My Crockett does great with .310R/B,
.015 patch, moose snot lube, and 25grns 3fff
Goex. Don't be disappointed by early groups
the Crockett needs some breakinIMO.
snake-eyes :hmm:

Back