• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Keeping a charge in my Hawken?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay Gardner

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Heading out next with with my .54 Hawken. Figure I'll be hunting on/off over the next 2-3 weeks (hunting, MI, OH and IN). How long can I keep the charge in the rifle? How do I keep condensation from taking the gun in/out of cold/warm and dampening the load?

Thanks,

i unload mine and then don't have any problems. You can get CO2 thingys that unload your gun, or you can shoot it. I shoot mine, and then clean it when I get back to camp.

I leave my gun loaded with a tooth pick in the vent and leave it out in the cold, if you are bringing it in you need to unload it.

I always leave my .50 loaded all season if I don't fire at game. (I don't shoot much any more)Have never had any firing trouble even after several months. Good luck in your hunt.

Unless you have some way to put that gun in a moisture free vacuum, I know of no way to keep condensation out of the barrel when you bring a cold dry barrel, into a house that is warm and moist. ( hot air carries more moisture than cold air.) You have to empty the barrel of its charge, and then clean and dry it after it comes up to room temperature.

NO SHORTCUTS. Sorry. :( :surrender: :hmm: :thumbsup:

Wouldn't it be easier just to pull ball and dump the powder than to discharge and go through the cleaning process? Not as fun but easier.

Doublegun said:
Wouldn't it be easier just to pull ball and dump the powder than to discharge and go through the cleaning process? Not as fun but easier.

No question about it...speaking only for myself I refuse to roll the dice and take the chance on a misfire.
I pull my load after every hunt and save the balls for plinking at the range...take 1-2 minutes and costs a few pennies worth of powder, load fresh in a clean dry bore every time.
Others can do as they like of course.

I've also used the CO2 discharger that was mentioned and if I blow the load out into a box of soft towels or something the balls don't even have the cavity / hole caused by the puller screw.

A couple of notes about the CO2 discharges that I've become aware of:
1) I use the large size CO2 cartridges yet only average 3 discharges per cartridge, so have plenty on hand;

2) Pay attention to the muzzle direction as the balls come out with a lot of force and can injure someone or damage property...have seen posts about breaking a car window, etc.

3) I've had a couple of cases where the CO2 discharger would not discharge a very tight PRB combo so don't place total dependency on the CO2 discharger alone...have the tried & true ball puller attachment (and suggest a T-handle) on hand as well.

After the novelty wore off, I basically find myself just use the ball puller all the time anyway.

That's what I do, just pull the ball at night when the hunt is over. That way there's no fouling to draw moisture.

Most importantly, the gun is unloaded for being around people in camp or for going home.

What can be easier than pulling the trigger and running a couple on patches down the bore?

It's not like you're going to have much fouling with one shot.

Are you going to leave the bore dry after pulling the ball and powder? You'll probably run some lube/protector down the bore. So, there one patch. Now i'm only use two more patches that you.

Think of swabbing the bore between shots. About the same thing as shooting out the load.

I'm real finicky about keeping my bore protected at all times. So, if i'm hunting in damp weather (almost always) I run a little Ballistol down the bore after loading. If I pulled the load i'd have to clean that out first, or the powder would make a mess after pulling the ball. Much easier to shoot the load out. It's not like you can use the ball or powder you pull out. Going bang is way more fun.

My .02

My cap lock stay's loaded. A piece of thick leather sits on the nipple aided from the hammer and my patch lube won't let the bore or external breech area fester ever!

Brits :thumbsup:

You'll pull your ball and dump your powder after every day once you miss your first deer when your rifle won't fire. :wink:

I am sure it would be " cleaner" to just pull the ball and powder charge. However, a lot of people seemed concerned about "disturbing the game" by firing off their gun at the end of the day. I used to have the same concern.

Then, back in 1985, 7 members of my BP club were hunting a new property, and only one member shot a deer on opening day. We all stayed out on our stand the whole day, coming into camp near where we parked our cars at dusk. The manager of the property told us to unload our guns by shooting at a dead apple tree he had to cut down. He hoped that all our fire would cut the tree down for him.[ At that time, Illinois law required guns to be UNLOADED before they could be transported in a vehicle. "Unloaded" then was defined as having NO charge and projectile in the barrel, and no percussion cap on the nipple, or priming powder in the pan. That law has since been change to allow transportation of MLers, with charges and projectiles in the barrel, provided the gun is no t primed.]

All 7 guns were fired off at that tree within a one hour period. It was the most gunfire heard around us all day long.

About 3 minutes after the last shot was fired, a yearling buck( button buck) and a 6 pointer ran thru the meadow where the camp and cars were located, Within 50 feet of us, as the 7 of us were discussing what we saw and heard all day long. None of us was holding a gun. None of the guns were loaded. And those were the only two bucks we saw that 3-day weekend.

So much for " disturbing the game".

We did have failures to fire, with all the percussion rifles, that time, while the two of us with flintlocks had the guns fire the first time we dropped the hammers. I even loaned my vent picks and nipple wrench, and then poured priming powder into their bolsters, so that the guns could be fired.

In all cases, after discussing how the shooter prepared his gun before loading the powder in it, the shooter failed to flush the barrel, and flash channels with alcohol to remove oils and moisture, before loading his powder charge. None had used a pipe cleaner to clear the flash channel or drum of either oils, or moisture condensing on the cold warm metal.

The next day was a bit warmer, and a lot drier, and none of the percussion guns failed to fire at the end of the day. All the percussion shooters flushed their barrels and flash channels before loading the powder that day. We didn't see any deer all that day, or on Sunday. We later learned that the deer spent the day lying in a swale on an adjoining property, where we didn't have permission to hunt. According to the farmer, the deer were sleeping in a grassy area out of the wind, and enjoying the warm sunlight. He watched them from a second floor window of his house.

I don't consider cleaning a fired barrel something onerous. Its not a real chore, to my way of thinking- just part of what you do to shoot MLers. I figured out how to clean my rifle properly and quickly many years ago.

I don't understand why people insist on making this a big deal. Its Not. I also don't understand why people so resist cleaning a gun- whether its a mler, or a modern, suppository model. :hmm:

I have done both . This year I left my gun loaded, Thought I would shoot it at the end of the second day, fired with no problem. Again went out on my stand with a day old load and a great buck came in, You guessed it, a hang fire, I;ll take the time and clean after each day. I feel better knowing there is no chance of messing up.

I'm probably the one who doesn't need to clean it out everyday, because I don't camp. The areas I hunt are all close enough for me to come home every night.

Nothing like a shower and a bed to get me ready for the next days hunting.

Leave it loaded from late November to mid January with no problem. Lube from lubed patch keeps it from rusting. Leave it in attached garage. No rust and no misfires in 20+ years.

I don't want to sound lazy by not wanting to have to clean my rifle after every hunt - that's not the case. Bottom line is I don't want to discharge the rifle, in the woods or at my truck, at the end of the day. It's not so much about disturbing game (I've watched plenty of deer not react to rifle fire) but I am trying to be considerate of people who may live relatively close to the areas I hunt.

I sincerely apppreciate the wealth of knowlege posessed by members of this board. You are great resources for a relatively newby and I am thankful for your insight.

Cheers,

JDG

Back